‘Remain comes out stronger!’ - Duncan-Smith corrected after claiming no-deal Brexit support
- Credit: Archant
Iain Duncan-Smith has become the latest Brexiteer to be corrected by a news presenter after claiming the public backs a no-deal Brexit.
The Brexiteer was told in a Sky News appearance that opinion polls shows there is not a majority in this country for leaving without a deal, but Duncan-Smith tried to suggest otherwise.
The Brexiteer said: 'Actually the last two polls shows over 50% favoured leaving without a deal.'
But presenter Adam Boulton pointed out that this was 'in the context of a choice' but 'if you put the three choices to people actually it gets support for a third of people.'
He added: 'And in those contexts, actually Remain comes out strongest.'
You may also want to watch:
Duncan-Smith, however, appeared to be again in denial of reality. 'No, no, no,' he continued, as Boulton insists 'it does!'
The ERG member continued: 'The British people want an end to this, and the only end to this is either the prime minister's deal passes - and I voted for it last time - or they leave without a deal. And constantly suspending that means you renage on the decision. March 29th was the vote - to leave on March 29th.'
- 1 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 2 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 3 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 4 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 5 Rabbits defeat French army
- 6 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 My favourite new Freedom is avoiding selfish anti-maskers
- 9 What IS the liberal response to the migrant crisis?
- 10 Telling the truth is now the only sackable offence
Boulton said that there was 'a third option - as you well know,' before adding 'that is to revoke leaving.'
But dismissive Duncan-Smith ignored the point again claiming that it was 'not what the British people voted for!'
Boulton is not the first news presenter to hold a Brexiteer to account for being economical with the truth about polling - Krishnan Guru-Murthy on Channel 4 News recently had a fiery exchange with John Redwood on the matter.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.