SNP’s Ian Blackford calls Theresa May a ‘liar’ in the House of Commons
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
SNP Westminster leader Ian Blackford faced the prospect of being thrown out of the Commons chamber after shouting 'liar' at the PM.
Blackford was angry that the prime minister had claimed an economic analysis of her Brexit proposals put forward had been published - and the claim she wanted her Brexit deal done and dusted by hristmas - despite pulling the vote.
Blackford, in his main response to May's statement, said: 'Sometimes I think the prime minister must live in a parallel universe.
'We've just heard from the prime minister that she wanted this concluded in December. Talk about rewriting history.
'It was the prime minister that denied us the right to have the meaningful vote and to try and rewrite history, and she sits there laughing, sometimes you should be honest with yourself, never mind being honest with the people of the United Kingdom.'
You may also want to watch:
He added May is 'lost in a Brexit fantasy', adding: 'We're 45 days from Scotland being dragged out of the European Union against our will - 45 days from economic catastrophe.'
Blackford went on: 'Ultimately, Scotland will have a choice - an independent European nation or remaining part of an inward-looking UK. Scotland's voices must be respected, prime minister.'
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 8 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 9 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 10 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
As the PM responded Blackford could be heard heckling her from the SNP benches.
Tory MPs reacted angrily as MPs claimed he shouted 'liar' and speaker John Bercow urged Blackford to withdraw the remark.
The SNP MP stood up and told Bercow: 'In courtesy to yourself, I withdraw.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.