Electoral fraud allegations ‘could be political corruption of highest order’
- Credit: PA
The Labour Party chairman has claimed that claims that the Tories offered peerages to Brexit Party figures could amount of 'political corruption of the highest order'.
Ian Lavery said the claims that the Conservatives offered Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage and his colleagues seats in the House of Lords in return for standing aside in the general election are an "absolute outrage".
It comes as Scotland Yard said it was "assessing" the allegations after former Labour lord chancellor Lord Falconer wrote to the Metropolitan Police Commissioner and Director of Public Prosecutions calling for a probe into what he said were "exceptionally serious allegations".
In an interview Lavery said: "I think it's unbelievable what's happened here. It really is.
"If what Nigel Farage suggests is true, that Brexit Party members have been approached by senior Conservatives asking to step down with the result being peerages, what state of affairs is our politics in? It's an absolute outrage.
You may also want to watch:
"This could be political corruption of the highest order and in addition to that it could be seen as criminal activity. This cannot be accepted.
"There should be undoubtedly an investigation into the situation."
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson also hit out at the allegations.
She told PA: "Nothing would surprise me about the Conservatives these days given what they've been prepared to do.
"If Boris Johnson's prepared to lie to the Queen, lie to the country, you know, I'm going to stop being shocked at where his lack of boundaries lies."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.