Ian Murray decided to ‘stay and fight’ for Labour after changing mind on defection
- Credit: PA
Scottish Labour MP Ian Murray has said he decided to 'stay and fight' for Labour after it was revealed he planned to defect to Change UK until a last-minute change of mind.
A new book on Jeremy Corbyn's time as Labour leader claims the Edinburgh South MP was on the brink of resigning from the party before changing his mind at the 11th hour.
Left Out, by Gabriel Pogrund of the Sunday Times and Patrick Maguire of The Times, says he was considering becoming the eighth Labour MP to join the breakaway Independent Group – also known as Change UK – last year.
You may also want to watch:
He was photographed standing at a podium with MPs from the now-defunct group, said to be a rehearsal of the group's launch event.
- 1 US election result could spark 'end of Brexit', claims peer
- 2 Brexiteer says EU 'spiteful' to end fast-track lanes for Brits after Brexit
- 3 'Assorted caviar' and 'board games' - Gifts confiscated from Boris Johnson due to anti-corruption laws
- 4 Farage says he can dodge US travel ban because he's a 'journalist'
- 5 Poll puts Labour on highest level of support since 2014
- 6 Question Time: Tory minister told 'diverse' cabinet doesn't erase race issues in party
- 7 Former Labour MP tells Jeremy Corbyn to retire after being suspended from party
- 8 Poll: Most Britons think Labour was right to suspend Jeremy Corbyn
- 9 Poll finds Boris Johnson key factor for Scots backing independence
- 10 Nigel Farage places £10,000 bet on Donald Trump to win second White House term
Murray, who is Labour's shadow Scottish secretary, told The Herald: 'All my life I've fought for a Labour government as I passionately believe in the values of my party.
'Many despaired and examined their own consciences over that period, and for very good reason. In the end, I decided to stay and fight for the party and I was absolutely right to do so.
'I'm dedicated to my constituents in Edinburgh South who I am proud to unstintingly serve and to my very supportive local party who are amazing.
'I've helped start the fightback and under Keir Starmer we now have a renewed Labour Party ready to remove the Tories from office at the next election.
'Everyone who believes in a more equal and fair society must strive to make that happen.
'I will, as I've always done, do all I can to achieve that aim.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.