Ian Murray decided to ‘stay and fight’ for Labour after changing mind on defection
- Credit: PA
Scottish Labour MP Ian Murray has said he decided to 'stay and fight' for Labour after it was revealed he planned to defect to Change UK until a last-minute change of mind.
A new book on Jeremy Corbyn's time as Labour leader claims the Edinburgh South MP was on the brink of resigning from the party before changing his mind at the 11th hour.
Left Out, by Gabriel Pogrund of the Sunday Times and Patrick Maguire of The Times, says he was considering becoming the eighth Labour MP to join the breakaway Independent Group – also known as Change UK – last year.
You may also want to watch:
He was photographed standing at a podium with MPs from the now-defunct group, said to be a rehearsal of the group's launch event.
- 1 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 2 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 3 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 4 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Former Brexit Party MEP dies in diving accident in the Bahamas
- 7 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 8 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 9 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 10 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
Murray, who is Labour's shadow Scottish secretary, told The Herald: 'All my life I've fought for a Labour government as I passionately believe in the values of my party.
'Many despaired and examined their own consciences over that period, and for very good reason. In the end, I decided to stay and fight for the party and I was absolutely right to do so.
'I'm dedicated to my constituents in Edinburgh South who I am proud to unstintingly serve and to my very supportive local party who are amazing.
'I've helped start the fightback and under Keir Starmer we now have a renewed Labour Party ready to remove the Tories from office at the next election.
'Everyone who believes in a more equal and fair society must strive to make that happen.
'I will, as I've always done, do all I can to achieve that aim.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.