Letter: Theresa May is proving she’s still a Remainer
- Credit: Archant
Reading the runes is tricky, but it appears that Theresa May could be more courageous than many of us thought, as she seemingly tries to avoid the hardest of Brexits.
Criticism from Johnson and Gove suggests she might be positioning herself on the side of the angels after all.
She should be brave and think of her reputation in history. Tory Remainers and many others are waiting for her to take a lead, and would give her powerful support if she does.
John Gemmell, Wem
I am beginning to think Cabinet splits over Brexit are a negotiation tactic and a phoney war. The EU team comes out with guarded support for 'beleaguered' Theresa May and eventually Juncker and Barnier will ride to the rescue on a white stallion called 'Compromise'. Brexiteers will have to accept her proposals as 'the end justifies the means' and pro-Remain Conservatives will claim victory.
You may also want to watch:
Michael Mcauley, Co Dublin
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
Theresa May refers to a 'number of ways' in which both frictionless trade with the EU and a soft border with Ireland can be delivered. Would that number be zero, by any chance?
• Send your letters for publication in The New European to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.