Letter: Have the people spoken?
- Credit: BBC
It was reported this month that 53% of the UK population do not identify as religious.
This is what is known in Whitehall as a landslide. This is a tremendous victory for non-religious people. It's significant and symbolic. To ignore it invites unrest and division. We must obey the will of the people.
On Monday the demolition schedule will be rolled out across the UK. It will last two years and will see removal of all churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, cathedrals, meeting houses and other places of worship.
Some losers will object to this, but they need to get behind the plan and make it a success. The people have spoken.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 2 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 3 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 4 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 Tory MP complains 'less scrutiny of trade deals' than when UK was in EU
- 7 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 8 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 9 No 10 says Biden removing Churchill bust ‘up to president’ despite Obama attack
- 10 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
• This letter was originally printed in The New European in September 2017.
• Every week The New European publishes two pages of letters from readers. Send your thoughts on Brexit to email@example.com