Letter: Have the people spoken?
- Credit: BBC
It was reported this month that 53% of the UK population do not identify as religious.
This is what is known in Whitehall as a landslide. This is a tremendous victory for non-religious people. It's significant and symbolic. To ignore it invites unrest and division. We must obey the will of the people.
On Monday the demolition schedule will be rolled out across the UK. It will last two years and will see removal of all churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, cathedrals, meeting houses and other places of worship.
Some losers will object to this, but they need to get behind the plan and make it a success. The people have spoken.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Government to hire adviser to identify post-Brexit benefits
- 2 Brexit negotiator Frost threatens drastic action over agreement
- 3 Brexit negotiator admits government didn't expect Brexit to be so disruptive for Northern Ireland
- 4 George Eustice and Liz Truss in row over post-Brexit trade deal with Australia
- 5 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 6 The Remainers' case for keeping the United Kingdom together
- 7 How Brexit has turned sour for the dairy industry
- 8 Boris Johnson’s Mustique holiday ‘was worth double the amount declared’
- 9 Why Germany's windows are the envy of the world
- 10 My run-ins with Michael Winner
• This letter was originally printed in The New European in September 2017.
• Every week The New European publishes two pages of letters from readers. Send your thoughts on Brexit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.