Is Twitter censoring its pro-Remain users?
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Social media networks have bigger issues than to concern themselves with Remain campaigners, writes MARTYN SLOMAN.
Your article "Twitter's twisted tales" (published on 10 October) has prompted me to write and highlight a problem that I have encountered with the social media platform.
Eighteen months ago I created a Twitter account with the handle @eugrandparents to add my support to the Remain campaign. Since then I have tweeted and retweeted often and, in particular, used the platform to direct people to my blogs on leftyoldman. Earlier this month, without any prior notice, my account was suspended by Twiitter. No reason was given and I appealed. The account was reinstated and I was informed that the action was taken 'for posting multiple unrelated updates to a trending or popular topic'. My attempts to clarify exactly what this meant, and what I can and cannot do, have so far received no acknowledgement from Twitter let alone a reply.
You may also want to watch:
There is an important issue here. Twitter and the other social media giants have immense power with, it appears, no accountability, no regulation, and there is no right of appeal. I hope that I am wrong and would be grateful if someone could clarify the situation by contacting me at @eugrandparents - assuming that this handle has not been suspended again.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
Martyn Sloman, Norfolk
- Send your letters for publication to email@example.com and read more by buying Thursday's newspaper each week.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.