Leave voter turned Remainer says: “In a democracy it’s OK to change your mind”
- Credit: Archant
A tweet by a Leave voter has gone viral after he announced that he has had a rethink, and is now a Remainer campaigning for a People's Vote on the final deal.
Hugh Norris voted Leave in the EU referendum in June 2016, but has since changed his mind because he believed the vote was based on 'lies and misinformation'.
Hugh is supporting the 'Remainer Now' cause and People's Vote campaign, and wants his story to be heard by others who have had a change of heart since the EU referendum. He wants to assure them that it is 'OK to change your mind'.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Norris today told The New European why he voted Leave: 'We were a promised a quick and easy deal with no downsides, more money for our public services, the exact same benefits as we all enjoy today, and more global trade which apparently was not possible as EU members.'
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 6 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 7 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
- 8 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 9 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 10 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
However, explaining his rethink, he continues: 'We've seen since that what was sold to us in 2016 was based on lies and misinformation and is undeliverable.
'We're a democracy and I believe it's OK to change your mind. I and increasing numbers have and are now campaigning for a People's Vote on the final deal. It's not too late, so join us.'
The original tweet has been liked over 17,000 times and retweeted by prominent Remainers including Alastair Campbell and JK Rowling.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.