Letter: Italy’s woes have little to do with the EU
- Credit: SIPA USA/PA Images
It was striking to note the portents of doom heralded by various sections of the media around the issue of the so-called constitutional crisis besetting Italy. This was, as they saw it, yet another nail in the EU's coffin post-Brexit.
Much to their disappointment, this issue was quickly resolved, with a new populist government comprising M5S and the League sworn in. This saw a previous eurosceptic economy minister being replaced with Giovanni Tria, who is in favour of Italy's continued membership of the eurozone.
Every so often certain wings of the press seemingly rejoice in such matters, heralding this as the beginning of the end of the EU.
It is however striking to look at the actual support there is for EU membership within the member countries. The latest polling from the Eurobarometer survey, published in May, highlights the fact that two-thirds of Europeans believe their country has benefited from being a member of the EU, the highest number for 35 years.
In addition 60% consider EU membership a good thing. This includes Italy, where more than twice as many view EU membership as a good thing rather than a bad thing.
You may also want to watch:
Likewise, in Brexit Britain, almost twice as many people now view EU membership as a good thing, by 43% to 23%.
- 1 US election result could spark 'end of Brexit', claims peer
- 2 Brexiteer says EU 'spiteful' to end fast-track lanes for Brits after Brexit
- 3 STAR TURNS: Bond star haunted by school tragedy
- 4 'Assorted caviar' and 'board games' - Gifts confiscated from Boris Johnson due to anti-corruption laws
- 5 Former Labour MP tells Jeremy Corbyn to retire after being suspended from party
- 6 Nigel Farage places £10,000 bet on Donald Trump to win second White House term
- 7 Farage says he can dodge US travel ban because he's a 'journalist'
- 8 Question Time: Tory minister told 'diverse' cabinet doesn't erase race issues in party
- 9 Poll puts Labour on highest level of support since 2014
- 10 Donald Trump supporters duped into thanking 'Satan' for backing president's re-election campaign
• Send your letters for publication to firstname.lastname@example.org or share your thoughts on The New European Facebook GroupMORE - Chris Grey: The Deadly Sins of BrexitMORE - Britain's trade prospects after Brexit? It's a sham.MORE - MPs sign letter calling for vote with option to remain in the EU
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.