Labour MP says she would prefer coalition with Brexit Party than Lib Dems
- Credit: Archant
A Labour MP says she would rather her party went into coalition with the Brexit Party than Lib Dems.
With the numbers currently stacked against Boris Johnson, the next government could be a coalition.
But rather than Labour working with the Liberal Democrats to reach a conclusion to Brexit, MP Emma Lewell-Buck said she would rather work with Nigel Farage.
Speaking to the ITV's Acting PM podcast, she said: "I'll be vilified for this but the Brexit Party.
"Even though I despise everything they stand for, I could not go into lead with a party who wants to revoke."
You may also want to watch:
Podcast presenter Paul Brand enquired "so that you could be seen to be seeing through Brexit?"
The MP responded: "It makes me sick saying that, but looking at it, yeah."
The South Shields MP was one of the Labour MPs to join the 'MPs for a deal' campaign group earlier this week.
It follows reports from a Lib Dem MP that Jo Swinson had pledged to keep Jeremy Corbyn out of power.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 4 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 5 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 6 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 7 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 8 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 9 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
Rania Ramli, chair of Labour Students, said that "Labour members will be extremely disappointed at the idea that a Labour MP would consider that putting the vile Farage into power would be an acceptable outcome in any circumstances."
"Labour values are those of openness and internationalism - which is why three-quarters or more want the UK to stay in the EU - and the fact that a Labour MP is prepared to consider putting the Brexit Party into office will dismay our voters all over the UK.
"Emma Lewell-Buck should reconsider her comments and think about how inappropriate it is, in any circumstance or scenario, to be a Labour MP who is open to working with the Brexit Party given the racism and hatred that they have stoked in this country that has impacted on so many people."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.