Labour MP says she would prefer coalition with Brexit Party than Lib Dems
- Credit: Archant
A Labour MP says she would rather her party went into coalition with the Brexit Party than Lib Dems.
With the numbers currently stacked against Boris Johnson, the next government could be a coalition.
But rather than Labour working with the Liberal Democrats to reach a conclusion to Brexit, MP Emma Lewell-Buck said she would rather work with Nigel Farage.
Speaking to the ITV's Acting PM podcast, she said: "I'll be vilified for this but the Brexit Party.
"Even though I despise everything they stand for, I could not go into lead with a party who wants to revoke."
You may also want to watch:
Podcast presenter Paul Brand enquired "so that you could be seen to be seeing through Brexit?"
The MP responded: "It makes me sick saying that, but looking at it, yeah."
The South Shields MP was one of the Labour MPs to join the 'MPs for a deal' campaign group earlier this week.
It follows reports from a Lib Dem MP that Jo Swinson had pledged to keep Jeremy Corbyn out of power.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
Rania Ramli, chair of Labour Students, said that "Labour members will be extremely disappointed at the idea that a Labour MP would consider that putting the vile Farage into power would be an acceptable outcome in any circumstances."
"Labour values are those of openness and internationalism - which is why three-quarters or more want the UK to stay in the EU - and the fact that a Labour MP is prepared to consider putting the Brexit Party into office will dismay our voters all over the UK.
"Emma Lewell-Buck should reconsider her comments and think about how inappropriate it is, in any circumstance or scenario, to be a Labour MP who is open to working with the Brexit Party given the racism and hatred that they have stoked in this country that has impacted on so many people."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.