Jacob Rees-Mogg challenged to debate Brexit in the nude
- Credit: BBC Radio 4 Today
Jacob Rees-Mogg has been challenged to take off his clothes and hold a naked debate on Brexit.
Dr Victoria Bateman, a Cambridge academic who proffers the benefits of the European Union in the nude, invited the prominent Tory Brexiteer backbencher to discuss the issue as she appeared on BBC Radio 4's Today programme with nothing on.
The economics fellow, who had the words 'Brexit leaves Britain naked' written across her body as she was interviewed by presenter John Humphrys, invited Leave supporters to strip off and discuss Britain's withdrawal from the EU.
She said: 'I invite Jacob Rees-Mogg to do a naked debate with me and we will get to the roots of this issue.
'Britain faces many, many problems right now from housing to the NHS, and the European Union is not the cause of those problems.'
You may also want to watch:
She said she decided to talk about Brexit with nothing on to demonstrate that leaving the EU is the 'emperor's new clothes'.
She told the programme: 'I have myself written thousands of words looking at why Brexit is bad for Britain, but I thought it would be useful to reduce all of those words down, condense all of those words down to one powerful message: Brexit is the emperor's new clothes - that Britain has sold itself a project that cannot possibly deliver on what it promised.'
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 5 Tory MP complains 'less scrutiny of trade deals' than when UK was in EU
- 6 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 7 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 8 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 9 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 10 No 10 says Biden removing Churchill bust ‘up to president’ despite Obama attack
Asked whether she is simply an 'exhibitionist', Dr Bateman said: 'I am completely comfortable with my own body, I view women's bodies as one of the big battlegrounds that we face today.
'And actually by engaging with society about women's bodies, one of the things it shows is the way in which people are quick to judge women purely based on their bodies.
'For thousands of years men have controlled what women can do with their bodies, and women's bodies have been seen as something purely existing for sex and for babies.
'So what is wrong with a modern day woman taking control of her body and using it to give voice to what is the most depressing political subject in Britain right now?'
Co-presenter Nick Robinson noted at the end of the interview: 'I want you to know that my computer screen was strategically placed so I have only been listening to what was being said.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.