The New European appoints new editor
- Credit: Steve Adams
The New European has unveiled a new editor as the publication continues to go from strength to strength.
Jasper Copping, who has served as The New European's news editor since it launched days after the EU referendum result, replaces Matt Kelly in the role of editor.
Copping has previously spent ten years on Fleet Street at the Sunday and Daily Telegraph as a reporter and deputy news editor, as well as working with publisher Archant's local news titles including the Eastern Daily Press.
Commenting on the announcement, Copping said: "I have been involved in The New European project since its very beginning and am honoured that Matt is entrusting me with his remarkable creation.
"I am looking forward to continuing the title's superb campaigning and its coverage, not just of Brexit but of news and culture from across Europe and beyond.
You may also want to watch:
"Regardless of what happens between now and 31 October, I don't expect politics to become any less tumultuous any time soon, or journalism any less exciting."
Matt Kelly, who launched the newspaper initially as a four-week project and has edited the title ever since, will continue to be involved with the newspaper in the role of publisher.
- 1 The Remainers' case for keeping the United Kingdom together
- 2 The deep roots of Labour's red wall decline
- 3 What's next for Laurence Fox after London mayor fiasco?
- 4 How Brexit has turned sour for the dairy industry
- 5 The slow death of Channel Islands Norman
- 6 Labour needs more positivity, more patriotism, more policy... and less wokery
- 7 Former Tory speaker admits voting Labour after labeling Boris Johnson a 'liar'
- 8 Dominic Cummings warns Boris Johnson against next stage of unlocking
- 9 Lawyers expose 'false claims' made by ministers over visa-free music tours of EU after Brexit
- 10 Why the English could understand the Vikings
He said: "After more than three years editing a newspaper that was meant to last for four weeks, I'm more than ready to pass on the baton.
"It's been a joyful experience, and I am sure without The New European, Brexit would have sent me mad by now.
"Satisfyingly, that is a sentiment I often hear from many of our readers, who I'd like to thank especially for their loyalty and support."
The announcement comes as The New European's website had its biggest month for readership, smashing previous monthly records for online traffic.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.