The New European appoints new editor
- Credit: Steve Adams
The New European has unveiled a new editor as the publication continues to go from strength to strength.
Jasper Copping, who has served as The New European's news editor since it launched days after the EU referendum result, replaces Matt Kelly in the role of editor.
Copping has previously spent ten years on Fleet Street at the Sunday and Daily Telegraph as a reporter and deputy news editor, as well as working with publisher Archant's local news titles including the Eastern Daily Press.
Commenting on the announcement, Copping said: "I have been involved in The New European project since its very beginning and am honoured that Matt is entrusting me with his remarkable creation.
"I am looking forward to continuing the title's superb campaigning and its coverage, not just of Brexit but of news and culture from across Europe and beyond.
You may also want to watch:
"Regardless of what happens between now and 31 October, I don't expect politics to become any less tumultuous any time soon, or journalism any less exciting."
Matt Kelly, who launched the newspaper initially as a four-week project and has edited the title ever since, will continue to be involved with the newspaper in the role of publisher.
- 1 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 Rabbits defeat French army
- 4 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 5 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 9 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
He said: "After more than three years editing a newspaper that was meant to last for four weeks, I'm more than ready to pass on the baton.
"It's been a joyful experience, and I am sure without The New European, Brexit would have sent me mad by now.
"Satisfyingly, that is a sentiment I often hear from many of our readers, who I'd like to thank especially for their loyalty and support."
The announcement comes as The New European's website had its biggest month for readership, smashing previous monthly records for online traffic.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.