Arcuri says she was convinced PM was ‘man of his word’ as she addresses rumours
- Credit: Archant
The US businesswoman at the centre of a controversy involving Boris Johnson has shed some light on the nature of her relationship with the prime minister after previously refusing to give any details.
Boris Johnson is currently being investigated for an alleged conflict of interest, looking into whether Jennifer Arcuri received favourable treatment from Johnson during his time as mayor of London.
According to the Sunday Times, which first reported the story, the technology entrepreneur was allowed to join him on overseas trade missions in 2014 and 2015.
However, in a defence of the prime minister's character, Arcuri has said she believed Boris Johnson was a man of his word as well as a 'charismatic' person.
Speaking on BBC Two's Victoria Derbyshire programme, Jennifer Arcuri said: "Every guy would tell you they would call and never follow up, not Boris Johnson, every time he told me he would call he called me. I was convinced this was a man of his word because I couldn't believe the fervid linear focus he had on me."
You may also want to watch:
"Boris Johnson loved my events and he saw the way I could work a room. I was in London [for] 30 seconds and I knew a lot of people and he recognised that.
"I just find it a real shame, buts its been very hard for me to stand back and keep excusing this."
- 1 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 2 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 3 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 4 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 5 What Auf Wiedersehen, Pet teaches us about Britain and Europe
- 6 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 7 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 8 The rocky road to Rejoin
- 9 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 10 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
Arcuri has refused on multiple occasions to say whether she was dating the former mayor of London, and when questioned by Victoria Derbyshire on this after saying Boris Johnson had more than a 'sexual intention', she again said: "I don't want to answer these questions, Victoria.
READ MORE: Boris Johnson has cast me aside like a gremlin, Jennifer Arcuri claimsREAD MORE: 'What's the point?': Jennifer Arcuri attacked on air for tight-lipped interview"I assure you [Johnson's] was not just a sexual intention he actually was very intrigued by my energy, my ability to get things done.
"Of course I'm not going to sit here and patronise the public, my intention is not to dance around the topic, as much as just to put an end to this nonsensical questioning and more or less bullying on me to admit my weakness."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.