Jeremy Corbyn: Labour will be the ‘resistance’ to Boris Johnson in 2020
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Jeremy Corbyn has used his new year message to say his party is 'the resistance' against Boris Johnson and will be 'on the front line' and 'on the streets' opposing the government.
In his address, Corbyn spoke out against billionaires and said Labour "will be on the front line, both in parliament and on the streets".
Without referring directly to his party's losses in the election, Corbyn conceded it had been "quite a year" for his party and called for the NHS and climate change to be top priorities for the next decade.
In the message, he said: "2019 has been quite the year for our country and for our Labour movement.
"And now we are not just entering a new year but a new decade. And the period ahead could not be more important.
You may also want to watch:
"It will be crucial if we are to stop irreversible damage being caused by the climate crisis and the particular effects that has on people in the global south; if we are to stop the pain plaguing our country: food banks, poverty and people struggling to get by; if we are to protect our precious NHS.
"It won't be easy. But we have built a movement. We are the resistance to Boris Johnson.
- 1 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 2 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 3 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 4 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 5 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 6 Home Office launches voluntary repatriation scheme for EU nationals
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn loses bid to release Labour documents ahead of High Court battle
- 8 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 9 Boris Johnson is the 'worst PM' and should resign, says Alastair Campbell
- 10 Nicola Sturgeon tells Boris Johnson to 'work from home' instead as he plans trip to Scotland
"We will be campaigning every day. We will be on the front line, both in parliament and on the streets."
Corbyn said Labour will be "protecting our public services, protecting healthcare free at the point of use, protecting our communities, in all their brilliant diversity, and standing up for internationalism, global solidarity and co-operation, and working with movements and parties seeking social justice and change all over the world".
He added: "And make no mistake, our movement is very strong. We are half a million people and growing. We are in every region and nation of our country.
"We're not backed by the press barons, by the billionaires or by the millionaires who work for the billionaires. We're backed by you. We are by the many, for the many.
"2020 and the years ahead will be tough - no one is saying otherwise. But we're up for the fight, to protect what we hold dear, and to build to win and to transform.
"The fight continues. There is no other choice. So if you're with us already, I can't wait to meet the challenges ahead together.
"But if you're not, join us. Join Labour today. Together we can bring about real change for our country, for the many and not just the few."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.