Jeremy Corbyn: Labour will be the ‘resistance’ to Boris Johnson in 2020
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Jeremy Corbyn has used his new year message to say his party is 'the resistance' against Boris Johnson and will be 'on the front line' and 'on the streets' opposing the government.
In his address, Corbyn spoke out against billionaires and said Labour "will be on the front line, both in parliament and on the streets".
Without referring directly to his party's losses in the election, Corbyn conceded it had been "quite a year" for his party and called for the NHS and climate change to be top priorities for the next decade.
In the message, he said: "2019 has been quite the year for our country and for our Labour movement.
"And now we are not just entering a new year but a new decade. And the period ahead could not be more important.
You may also want to watch:
"It will be crucial if we are to stop irreversible damage being caused by the climate crisis and the particular effects that has on people in the global south; if we are to stop the pain plaguing our country: food banks, poverty and people struggling to get by; if we are to protect our precious NHS.
"It won't be easy. But we have built a movement. We are the resistance to Boris Johnson.
- 1 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 2 More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- 3 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 4 MANDRAKE: Chilling news for Telegraph bosses
- 5 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
- 6 Tory minister's claim over free school meals funding gets quickly debunked
- 7 Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- 8 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
- 9 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 10 Questions over Nigel Farage's quarantine status as he appears on stage with Donald Trump at rally
"We will be campaigning every day. We will be on the front line, both in parliament and on the streets."
Corbyn said Labour will be "protecting our public services, protecting healthcare free at the point of use, protecting our communities, in all their brilliant diversity, and standing up for internationalism, global solidarity and co-operation, and working with movements and parties seeking social justice and change all over the world".
He added: "And make no mistake, our movement is very strong. We are half a million people and growing. We are in every region and nation of our country.
"We're not backed by the press barons, by the billionaires or by the millionaires who work for the billionaires. We're backed by you. We are by the many, for the many.
"2020 and the years ahead will be tough - no one is saying otherwise. But we're up for the fight, to protect what we hold dear, and to build to win and to transform.
"The fight continues. There is no other choice. So if you're with us already, I can't wait to meet the challenges ahead together.
"But if you're not, join us. Join Labour today. Together we can bring about real change for our country, for the many and not just the few."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.