Corbyn forgets his party’s six tests for Brexit
- Credit: PA
The opposition leader forgot the Labour's six key Brexit tests on the same day the party claimed Theresa May's Brexit plan was failing them.
The shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer spent most of this year's Labour conference confirming that the party was preparing to vote against whatever deal Theresa May presents to Parliament, but it seems the leader has yet to learn what their policy entails.
The party says the six tests are what will determine whether or not it will support the prime minister's plan when there is a crucial vote. They ask:
You may also want to watch:
Does it ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU?
Does it deliver the 'exact same benefits' as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union?
- 1 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 2 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
- 3 Leaked government dossier warns of army street patrols if second Covid-19 wave and no-deal Brexit hit UK at same time
- 4 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 5 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 6 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 7 Nicola Sturgeon, Jacinda Adern and Angela Merkel in top 5 of world’s most eloquent leaders
- 8 Minister finally concedes 'Australia-style deal' is a no-deal Brexit
- 9 Michael Gove challenged over remarks UK 'holds all the cards' in Brexit talks
- 10 Boris Johnson told to apologise for incompetence in delivering his 'oven-ready' Brexit deal
Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities?
Does it defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom?
Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime?
Does it deliver for all regions and nations of the UK?
On the same day that Labour published a report confirming that Theresa May's current plan for Brexit was 'on course to be failed' by these tests the leader was asked about them by BBC's Newsnight... but he was unable to give an clear answer.
He explained: 'We have made clear all along that our tests are on access to the market, are on a customs union, are on appropriate regulations that protect jobs, environment and consumer rights, and of course an end to the speculation on the danger of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.'
The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg responded: 'Well the six tests you set out last year were actually about fair migration, strong collaboration with the EU, protecting security, delivering for the nations and regions, protecting workers' rights, and having the same benefits as a single market. That's not precisely what you just outlined.'
Corbyn snapped back: 'Well you've got the six tests there and you have read them out. You can see exactly what they are.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.