Jeremy Vine pleads for Queen to intervene in Brexit in bizarre Channel 5 moment
- Credit: Archant
The guests on Jeremy Vine's Channel 5 show often provide some eyebrow-raising moments when discussing Brexit, but this time it is the host getting in on the action.
One particular moment has sparked a number of comments on social media after a video emerged of the presenter appealing directly to the Queen to intervene in Brexit.
Calling the Queen "her majesty" the distinguished journalist called on her to "screw protocol" and have her say on the constitutional crisis.
Looking down the camera over 60 seconds, the presenter said: "Your majesty, in decades, centuries to come, we will be known as the Elizabethans. Because of you. "You are QE II. We are the second Elizabethans. Your reign is ending in disquiet.
"Your subjects are split down the middle. Your country hung, drawn and quartered.
You may also want to watch:
"They say protocol means you can't speak. Screw protocol! They say protocol means you must stay out of it, well get your courtiers in a room and tell them to shove their protocol up their royal garters.
"You would shout fire if you saw one in a theatre... shout now ma'am.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 6 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 7 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
"We need you to say something. The country is 52/48 on Brexit, but where are you? Everyone's arguing and you don't speak.
"Your majesty please tell us what to do, please don't wait another day."
Vine followed it up by insisting it was "just an example!" of the kind of appeal that could be made, but he appeared to go to a lot of effort to make his point.
The appeal was clapped by those around him, but his callers and panellists did not all agree with him.
"Can't believe what I've just witnessed" tweeted @gigiglasgow72, the first to post the video.
"Never seen anything like it in my life" said comedian Limmy.
"Just another symptom of a nation progressively losing its mind" said Graham Lithgow.
"Jeremy Vine directly addressing the Queen here, another normal day in Britain" wrote @liamwithnail.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.