Jo Swinson calls for no-confidence vote against Boris Johnson
- Credit: Getty Images
The new leader of the Liberal Democrats has wasted no time in calling for a vote of no confidence in Boris Johnson, and is urging Jeremy Corbyn to join her.
On the morning Johnson gathers his new cabinet for discussions, Jo Swinson has tabled an early day motion calling for the vote. She has written to Jeremy Corbyn, who as opposition leader is able to table an official motion.
She said that Johnson has no public or parliamentary mandate. "His steadfast refusal to rule out proroguing Parliament in order to crash the UK out of the EU demonstrates that he is willing to jeopardise our NHS, jobs, and the economy," said the Lib Dem leader. "He is not fit to lead this country."
She added that it's time Corbyn "stops aiding and abetting this Conservative Brexit".
In her letter to Corbyn, she said: "You must not sit back and allow this government to crash our country out of the EU.
You may also want to watch:
"We implore you to take action and call for a vote of no confidence. It is vital that we work together to secure a People's Vote with the option to stay in the EU."
However, Corbyn has already suggested that he is biding his time until after the summer, when the vote may have more chance of success. "We will table one when appropriate to do so," he told the BBC, but wouldn't say exactly when. "It will be an interesting surprise for all of you," he added.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 6 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 7 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
- 8 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 9 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 10 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
A Labour spokesman said: "As Jo Swinson knows, a no-confidence vote now will only strengthen Boris Johnson's hand and further his march towards no deal.
"This is childish and irresponsible game-playing by the Lib Dems who are more interested in attacking Labour than stopping no deal."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.