Jo Swinson calls for no-confidence vote against Boris Johnson
- Credit: Getty Images
The new leader of the Liberal Democrats has wasted no time in calling for a vote of no confidence in Boris Johnson, and is urging Jeremy Corbyn to join her.
On the morning Johnson gathers his new cabinet for discussions, Jo Swinson has tabled an early day motion calling for the vote. She has written to Jeremy Corbyn, who as opposition leader is able to table an official motion.
She said that Johnson has no public or parliamentary mandate. "His steadfast refusal to rule out proroguing Parliament in order to crash the UK out of the EU demonstrates that he is willing to jeopardise our NHS, jobs, and the economy," said the Lib Dem leader. "He is not fit to lead this country."
She added that it's time Corbyn "stops aiding and abetting this Conservative Brexit".
In her letter to Corbyn, she said: "You must not sit back and allow this government to crash our country out of the EU.
You may also want to watch:
"We implore you to take action and call for a vote of no confidence. It is vital that we work together to secure a People's Vote with the option to stay in the EU."
However, Corbyn has already suggested that he is biding his time until after the summer, when the vote may have more chance of success. "We will table one when appropriate to do so," he told the BBC, but wouldn't say exactly when. "It will be an interesting surprise for all of you," he added.
- 1 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 2 BBC journalist admits being 'haunted' by fear broadcaster 'built up' Nigel Farage and UKIP
- 3 Welsh government takes Westminster to court over post-Brexit bill
- 4 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 5 Prosecution threat for Tories' co-chairman
- 6 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 7 No plans for EU membership vote in independent Scotland, says Sturgeon
- 8 Scientist tells Boris Johnson to cancel India trip over new variant fears
- 9 Brussels insists Northern Ireland Brexit protocol must remain in place
- 10 EU president faces fresh calls to resign over 'disastrous' Covid vaccine programme
A Labour spokesman said: "As Jo Swinson knows, a no-confidence vote now will only strengthen Boris Johnson's hand and further his march towards no deal.
"This is childish and irresponsible game-playing by the Lib Dems who are more interested in attacking Labour than stopping no deal."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.