Jo Swinson’s seat of East Dunbartonshire ‘on a knife edge’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The joint-leader of East Dunbartonshire council has said 'it is on a knife edge' whether Liberal Dem leader Jo Swinson will lose her seat to the SNP.
Andrew Polson, a Conservative councillor, said: "My gut reaction is that she might scrape through, but it's on a knife edge."
Polson revealed that - according to his figures - Jo Swinson is polling 44% in his Bearsden South ward, which he described "strong Tory" area.
"You would really expect her to be polling 50%," he said.
"She's holding up in Bearsden, but the SNP have increased their vote. They're polling 23% there, when you'd be expecting around 15%, so it's on a knife edge."
You may also want to watch:
He said his sense from Conservative supporters in his ward was that they were voting for the Tories rather than voting tactically to keep out the SNP.
"We were definitely getting on the doors in our ward: 'We're sticking with you this time - the last two elections we voted Jo but we're sticking with you this time'," he added.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 3 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 4 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 6 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 7 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 8 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 9 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 10 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
Polson also suggested there was a significant number of remain-voting constituents who thought the Liberal Democrat's policy of revoking Article 50 was a "threat to democracy".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.