Jo Swinson told to ‘sit down, darling’ for refusing interruption in Commons debate
- Credit: Parliament TV
Jo Swinson had to put up with heckling from an 'entitled, sexist toad' in the House of Commons as she was midway through taking apart Boris Johnson's Brexit negotiating position.
The Liberal Democrat leader was addressing MPs about the flaws in the prime minister's arguments around keeping no-deal on the table when she was told to "sit down, darling" by a male MP.
She had been asked to give way - to allow another MP to interrupt - but refused, saying she had already given way once.
The East Dunbartonshire MP firstly started to take about Boris Johnson's position. "I'm intrigued that as a result of the House of Commons saying very clearly that we will not countenance crashing out of the EU with no deal, the prime minister's response is that this somehow messes up his plan."
Boris Johnson glowered in his seat as she continued to ask him, to laughter, if he had been paying attention when MPs voted against a no-deal Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
"Is he seriously saying that the extent of his plan was to try to bully the EU, and that he could only get a good deal by threatening that he would leave without a deal?"
She then gave way to an MP, who asked her about the Lib Dems' manifesto commitment to stopping Brexit. Having answered the point she continued to discuss Johnson's negotiating position, when she was asked to give way a second time.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 6 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 7 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- 8 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 9 Government hands private companies £180m to carry out Brexit contracts
- 10 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
"I've already given way," she said.
"Sit down, darling," came the anonymous voice. Swinson carried on regardless.
Following this, fellow Lib Dem Layla Moran slammed the MP who condescended to her party leader on Twitter. "Whoever told Jo Swinson to 'sit down darling' or whatever was said, a: picked the wrong lady to mess with and b: is clearly an entitled sexist toad."
Swinson, who entered the Commons as the 'baby of the house', has long espoused a pragmatic kind of feminism.
Having written a book about power and gender equality, she was the first MP to bring a baby into the House of Commons. She opposes affirmative action programmes, preferring 'nudge' methods of bringing women to power, and notoriously refused to be pigeonholed at her own party conference by wearing a t-shirt that said: "I am not a token woman."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.