Lib Dems set to unveil pledge to revoke Article 50
- Credit: PA
The Liberal Democrats look set to campaign to cancel Brexit by revoking Article 50 to allow the UK to remain in the European Union, party leader Jo Swinson has said.
The proposal will be voted on by party members at the Lib Dem annual conference which starts on Saturday in Bournemouth.
Swinson said: "The Liberal Democrats are fully behind a People's Vote with the option to remain, and we would campaign to stay in.
"We believe this is the best way to resolve the Brexit mess, and it is in the country's best interest. However, a general election may well happen before a People's Vote.
"I relish the chance to take the fight to Boris Johnson in an election, and I'm confident we'd make significant gains.
You may also want to watch:
"Whenever the election comes, our position is clear and unequivocal. A majority Liberal Democrat government would not renegotiate Brexit; we would cancel it by revoking Article 50 and remaining in the European Union.
"Since the referendum, the Conservatives have made a mess of Brexit and brought us to the brink of a dangerous no deal.
- 1 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 4 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 5 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 6 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 7 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 8 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 9 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 10 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
"The Liberal Democrats are the strongest party for Remainers and those who support a People's Vote. We are committed to stopping Brexit so that we can mend our broken politics, build a fairer society and protect our planet."
The Guardian reported that the party would back immediately revoking Article 50 in an election campaign but would go back to supporting a second referendum and campaigning to remain in the EU if it does not win the election.