Lib Dems set to unveil pledge to revoke Article 50
- Credit: PA
The Liberal Democrats look set to campaign to cancel Brexit by revoking Article 50 to allow the UK to remain in the European Union, party leader Jo Swinson has said.
The proposal will be voted on by party members at the Lib Dem annual conference which starts on Saturday in Bournemouth.
Swinson said: "The Liberal Democrats are fully behind a People's Vote with the option to remain, and we would campaign to stay in.
"We believe this is the best way to resolve the Brexit mess, and it is in the country's best interest. However, a general election may well happen before a People's Vote.
"I relish the chance to take the fight to Boris Johnson in an election, and I'm confident we'd make significant gains.
You may also want to watch:
"Whenever the election comes, our position is clear and unequivocal. A majority Liberal Democrat government would not renegotiate Brexit; we would cancel it by revoking Article 50 and remaining in the European Union.
"Since the referendum, the Conservatives have made a mess of Brexit and brought us to the brink of a dangerous no deal.
- 1 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 2 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 3 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 4 Home Office launches voluntary repatriation scheme for EU nationals
- 5 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 6 Brussels politician says Boris Johnson should 'pay for EU workers to stay' in UK
- 7 Michael Gove claims Boris Johnson is a 'huge asset' to Scotland
- 8 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn loses bid to release Labour documents ahead of High Court battle
- 10 Boris Johnson is the 'worst PM' and should resign, says Alastair Campbell
"The Liberal Democrats are the strongest party for Remainers and those who support a People's Vote. We are committed to stopping Brexit so that we can mend our broken politics, build a fairer society and protect our planet."
The Guardian reported that the party would back immediately revoking Article 50 in an election campaign but would go back to supporting a second referendum and campaigning to remain in the EU if it does not win the election.