Jo Swinson warns of ‘fake news’ after viral squirrel abuse story
- Credit: Archant
The leader of the Liberal Democrats Jo Swinson has warned the public to be wary of sharing misinformation after a story went viral claiming she had abused squirrels.
Doctored images claiming to show an article on the Mirror's website were shared thousands of times across Twitter and Facebook last week, including by a number of pro-Brexit and Brexit Party groups.
The false story, written by non-existant journalist "Wurrance Telephene", claimed the Lib Dem leader was blasted by animal rights charities after "harrowing footage" was found on a private Facebook account.
Speaking to LBC today, she said: "This sort of fake news is surprising to me, now that I am the leader of a party. This isn't the only one, there has been various other fake news story. Sometimes using the byline of an established journalist.
"There was one that used Peter Walker's name from the Guardian and he had to go online to debunk it and say he never wrote it.
You may also want to watch:
"But they're quite sophisticated in that people believe them. I do think it's worrying because it has echoes of what we've seen in other elections. Particularly when you think about fake news and the technological possibility for deep fakes, where videos can be faked.
"I think it's very difficult to prevent the spread."
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 6 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 7 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 8 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 9 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 10 PMQs Review: The one where it was grim up north
READ MORE: 'A lie every day' - Radio caller slams ex-minister over PM's liesREAD MORE: Nigel Farage is trolled after telling Leavers 'not to waste their vote'The post received few interactions until it was shared by a Brexit Party account on November 14 with nearly 9,000 followers.
It then picked up more than 20,000 interactions across social media.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.