John Bercow calls for ‘personal courtesy’ in alternative Christmas message
- Credit: PA
John Bercow will say that 'democracy has come in for a pounding' and call for 'personal courtesy' as he delivers the Alternative Christmas Message.
The former Commons speaker, who stepped down in October after 10 years in the role, follows in the footsteps of Danny Dyer, Sharon Osbourne, whistleblower Edward Snowden and the husband of murdered MP Jo Cox in the TV slot.
A fixture on Channel 4 since 1993, it is seen as a rival to the Queen's own festive broadcast.
Bercow will use the message to claim that "democracy has come in for a pounding".
Speaking from a classroom at his children's state secondary school, he says: "I passionately support parliamentary democracy. For all the criticism and abuse lobbed at MPs, I'm still a cheerleader for them."
You may also want to watch:
He calls for the nation to "take inspiration from young people" and "try to re-establish a civility of discourse".
"It would be good for parliament, for democracy and for our own mental health..." he says.
- 1 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 2 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 3 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 4 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 5 Holyrood in talks with EU to extend Erasmus scheme to Scottish students
- 6 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 7 An actor whose politics were a touchy subject
- 8 Independent SAGE adviser gives scathing assessment of Priti Patel's £800 Covid fines
- 9 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 10 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
"This Christmas, I urge that political difference, personal courtesy should become our guiding lights in 2020, in the Commons, in our workplaces and in our homes."
The Alternative Christmas Message will be broadcast on Christmas Day at 2.25pm, just before the Queen's Christmas Broadcast begins at 3pm on BBC One.
The Alternative Christmas Message will air on December 25 at 2.25pm on Channel 4.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.