Brexiteer says Gina Miller has her ‘fingers in her ears’ before hanging up to avoid debate
- Credit: Archant
A rattled Leave Means Leave chairman baffled radio listeners by saying Gina Miller was 'going round with her fingers in her ear' before hanging up to avoid a proper debate.
In his appearance on Andrew Castle's LBC show John Longworth trotted out the same tired lines – calling the People's Vote a 'loser's vote' and saying that the 700,000 people who marched on the same day were trying to 'reverse the democratic will of the people'.
Longworth rudely claimed that anti-Brexit campaigner Miller of 'going round with her fingers in her ears' after she said the country had realised 'what was promised can't be delivered'.
He wouldn't allow Miller to respond to those claims - continuing to rant about a People's Vote.
He said: 'Another referendum would be so decisive for Britain, it would be catastrophic and it would cause a much bigger problem than anything that could happen economically for the UK.'
You may also want to watch:
'People would lose faith in the system and this is no longer a matter of Brexit, it is a matter of democracy.'
Radio host Castle then gave the chance to respond to Longworth's claims. She was adamant she had been listening to the mood of the country.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 6 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 7 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 8 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 9 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 10 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
'I haven't had my fingers in my ears... it seems to be going around the country and listening that many people are angry for many different reasons. Some because it's not the way they thought it would turn out, others because it's different from the way they thought, but whatever the reason people have that right.
As she continued it became apparent Longworth had hung up on the programme to avoid debate.
Gina continued uninterrupted: 'Whatever happens next time, I think we have to draw a line under this and get back to our country. We have a zombie parliament who is not doing anything other than Brexit, our country and the people in it are being neglected.'
She later tweeted: 'Just debated on LBC with John Longworth from Leave Means Leave who refused to face facts and put down the phone. Didn't realise Leave means leave when you don't like the facts!'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.