John Major: This brilliant blast against Brexit will devastate May
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The grey man's moment is now, writes MATT KELLY, and it could be pivotal
How times change. John Major, the grey man of Conservatism, today gave an almighty blast against Brexit with more wit, punch and clarity than even the master of communication who followed him into Number 10, Tony Blair, has managed.
It was a long speech, but every line built towards a single sentence that encapsulated the entire sorry mess we have been living through in the last two years.
A sentence both philosophical and political, quite shocking in its implication: 'It is as necessary to speak truth to the people as it is to speak truth to power.'
The government, Major said, was divided, deluded, and engaged in a deceit - that Brexit was anything other than a disaster for Britain.
You may also want to watch:
Britain's status is already diminished, he said, but would plunge further.
Our economy was being pulled up by short term factors, like the fall in the pound and the better performance of our neighbours.
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 3 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 4 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 5 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 6 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 7 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
- 9 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 10 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
But that would not last. And when the people discover the truth for themselves, there will be an almighty reckoning.
There was no mollification here. Not even the faint empathies Blair has articulated for the current occupier of 10 Downing Street.
This was a brutal assessment of a Tory government out of control and at war with itself.
A government who has put its own party interest ahead of the nation's.
There can be no more serious charge for one Prime Minister to make against another.
Even Theresa May, a Prime Minister who seems utterly immune to what anybody actually thinks, must be stunned to hear John Major attack her and her government so openly.
The meat of his argument came towards the end.
MPs must be allowed a free vote on this matter; an opportunity to end Brexit, or for MPs to pave the way for for the people to end it - if that's what the people wanted - via another referendum.
To force Brexit through on party lines would be a great abrogation of representative democracy, he said. And it would be unforgivable.
'If Brexit is whipped through Parliament ... voters will know who to blame,' he concluded.
This speech, from the grey man of the Conservatives, has the power and the substance to change the course of Brexit
As Britain slouches inexorably towards Brexit, the grey man's hour has come around at last.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.