McDonnell: People’s Vote is ‘inevitable’
- Credit: Archant
Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has said that a People's Vote now appears to be 'inevitable'.
There had been speculation that senior Labour figures were preparing to back a People's Vote if Theresa May's deal was defeated - with Robert Peston claiming that Corbyn would make his party the 'champion of another referendum or People's Vote'.
This appeared to be supported in a new interview between John McDonnell and the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg, where the shadow chancellor McDonnell said that he believed there could now be another Brexit referendum.
He said: 'We should have a general election but that's very difficult. If that's not possible we'll be calling upon the government then to join us in the public vote... that's the sequence I think that we'll inevitably go through over this period.'
MORE: BBC builds platform to block out anti-Brexit campaigners... and fails Kuenssberg asked: 'It is inevitable that if a vote of no confidence didn't bring down the government and a general election, it is inevitable, to use that word, that you just used, that there would be another vote?'
McDonnell replied: 'That's right.'
You may also want to watch:
McDonnell has seperately told a Guardian Live event that a People's Vote 'might be an option we seize upon'. He said that the options would include Remain, but not a 'no Deal' option.
He added: 'We'll have to go through that sequence to show we're doing everything we can.'
- 1 The deep roots of Labour's red wall decline
- 2 Labour needs more positivity, more patriotism, more policy... and less wokery
- 3 MANDRAKE: Boris Johnson's 'daughter' speaks out
- 4 Andy Burnham urges UK to 'embrace' Brexit as 'new reality'
- 5 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 6 Dominic Raab 'chickened out' of a no-deal Brexit, Michel Barnier says
- 7 Seven reasons Scotland should stay in the Union
- 8 Former Tory speaker admits voting Labour after labeling Boris Johnson a 'liar'
- 9 The truth about 'buy British'
- 10 Michel Barnier calls for halt to non-EU migration into France
At Prime Minister's Questions Theresa May called a People's Vote a 'betrayal of the many by the few'.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.