McDonnell: People’s Vote is ‘inevitable’
- Credit: Archant
Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has said that a People's Vote now appears to be 'inevitable'.
There had been speculation that senior Labour figures were preparing to back a People's Vote if Theresa May's deal was defeated - with Robert Peston claiming that Corbyn would make his party the 'champion of another referendum or People's Vote'.
This appeared to be supported in a new interview between John McDonnell and the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg, where the shadow chancellor McDonnell said that he believed there could now be another Brexit referendum.
He said: 'We should have a general election but that's very difficult. If that's not possible we'll be calling upon the government then to join us in the public vote... that's the sequence I think that we'll inevitably go through over this period.'
MORE: BBC builds platform to block out anti-Brexit campaigners... and fails Kuenssberg asked: 'It is inevitable that if a vote of no confidence didn't bring down the government and a general election, it is inevitable, to use that word, that you just used, that there would be another vote?'
McDonnell replied: 'That's right.'
You may also want to watch:
McDonnell has seperately told a Guardian Live event that a People's Vote 'might be an option we seize upon'. He said that the options would include Remain, but not a 'no Deal' option.
He added: 'We'll have to go through that sequence to show we're doing everything we can.'
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
- 6 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 7 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 8 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 9 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 10 Brexiteer in lockdown denial over 49% drop in constituency Covid-19 cases
At Prime Minister's Questions Theresa May called a People's Vote a 'betrayal of the many by the few'.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.