Presenter criticised for pointing out ‘a lot of older people have died’ since EU referendum
- Credit: Archant
Channel 4 News presenter Jon Snow has been criticised for suggesting that there should be a second referendum because of the number of deaths since 2016.
Snow was interviewing Labour MPs Stephen Kinnock and Alison McGovern posed the point that a lot of younger people are now on the electoral roll, and many older people had died since the 2016 referendum.
He argued that it was a case for holding a second referendum to find out what the public really thinks now.
He said: "It's a tasteless question but the truth is that a lot of people have died since the last referendum, we don't know how they voted, but a good number of people voted Leave and a good number of young people are on the register and who want to vote to stay."
But McGovern, a People's Vote supporter, argued it was not an appropriate argument for a second referendum.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "It is a tasteless question, if you don't mind me agreeing, and actually a lot of older people voted to Remain as well.
"I think it's a bit of a stereotype, and what matters to people is what they know about Brexit now, not what they knew in 2017."
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 4 Boris Johnson claims Labour supporters using Universal Credit vote to incite hatred
- 5 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 6 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 7 Dominic Raab 'not convinced' collapse of fishing businesses would be result of Brexit deal
- 8 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 9 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
- 10 Michael Gove among 14 Tory MPs revealed to have joined banned Parler app
Snow's comments infuriated Brexiteers on social media.
Justine Carroll wrote: "Jon Snow is interviewing two LP MPs about Brexit. The woman is for remain, Stephen Kinnock saying we must get a deal and leave. Jon Snow has argued that it was too close in 2016 and a lot of old leavers have died! OMG how the hell does he get away with that?"
"No spring chicken yourself Jon," wrote @petuniasforever.
Another tweeted: "Awkward! Jon Snow a bit too crass on Brexiteer voters having died off, Alison McGovern had to put him straight. Remainers have died too she said."
Earlier this year Jon Snow was subject to an OFCOM investigation after he pointed out the number of "white people" at the pro-Brexit rally on March 29th.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.