Leave-voting union leader says Tory Brexit puts UK in Trump’s hands
- Credit: Jon Trickett
A former leader of the miners' struggle has spoken out on how Brexit has turned sour for him, saying it puts the UK 'into the arms of Donald Trump'.
Ken Capstick, former vice president of the Yorkshire National Union of Miners has said in a candid interview that his criticisms of the EU led him to vote for Brexit - but "not this Brexit".
Labour candidate Jon Trickett was speaking in Capstick in Hemsworth where 68% of people voted Leave, and where Trickett hopes to defend his seat from the Tories and the Brexit Party.
Trickett was the first Labour shadow cabinet member to come out in favour of a Labour Brexit deal if his party wins power.
Capstick told him: "I remember thinking we want to be out of Europe and into the world."
You may also want to watch:
He continued: "I'll tell you what frightens me, Jon. It's not that. It's out of Europe and into the arms of Donald Trump.
"That, I did not vote for. And I can't see how anyone could vote for this Brexit that we now have - and I am the Brexiteer."
- 1 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 2 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 3 What Auf Wiedersehen, Pet teaches us about Britain and Europe
- 4 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 5 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 6 An actor whose politics were a touchy subject
- 7 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 8 Holyrood in talks with EU to extend Erasmus scheme to Scottish students
- 9 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 10 George Osborne hopes for Brexit dividend
He continued, saying he had objected to the treatment of the people in countries like Greece, Spain and Cyprus at the hands of the European Union.
But then, he said, even with those faults "you have to look at where it takes us".
"And it takes us into a Brexit I never voted for. And I'm sure most people in Hemsworth, they may have voted for Brexit, but have a look at what Brexit you're going to get.
"Your National Health Service is going to be gone. Donald Trump can't wait to get his hands on our National Health Service. Please, please, I'm begging you: do not let that happen."
Hemsworth has been held by Labour since 1918. In 2017, Trickett was returned with a majority of just over 10,000, and has always enjoyed a strong lead over the Tories.