Leave-voting union leader says Tory Brexit puts UK in Trump’s hands
- Credit: Jon Trickett
A former leader of the miners' struggle has spoken out on how Brexit has turned sour for him, saying it puts the UK 'into the arms of Donald Trump'.
Ken Capstick, former vice president of the Yorkshire National Union of Miners has said in a candid interview that his criticisms of the EU led him to vote for Brexit - but "not this Brexit".
Labour candidate Jon Trickett was speaking in Capstick in Hemsworth where 68% of people voted Leave, and where Trickett hopes to defend his seat from the Tories and the Brexit Party.
Trickett was the first Labour shadow cabinet member to come out in favour of a Labour Brexit deal if his party wins power.
Capstick told him: "I remember thinking we want to be out of Europe and into the world."
You may also want to watch:
He continued: "I'll tell you what frightens me, Jon. It's not that. It's out of Europe and into the arms of Donald Trump.
"That, I did not vote for. And I can't see how anyone could vote for this Brexit that we now have - and I am the Brexiteer."
- 1 Joe Biden’s ‘candid’ message to Boris Johnson on Northern Ireland Brexit row
- 2 Crisis in the unpicked fruit fields shows Brexit is rotten
- 3 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 4 Why Australian trade deal could complicate future post-Brexit agreements
- 5 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 6 A furious Hoyle accuses government of misleading the House
- 7 Priti Patel says fans have right to boo England team for taking the knee
- 8 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 9 Tory MP ordered to publicly apologise for bullying parliament staff after struggling with IT
- 10 PM to reveal details of post-Brexit agreement with Australia
He continued, saying he had objected to the treatment of the people in countries like Greece, Spain and Cyprus at the hands of the European Union.
But then, he said, even with those faults "you have to look at where it takes us".
"And it takes us into a Brexit I never voted for. And I'm sure most people in Hemsworth, they may have voted for Brexit, but have a look at what Brexit you're going to get.
"Your National Health Service is going to be gone. Donald Trump can't wait to get his hands on our National Health Service. Please, please, I'm begging you: do not let that happen."
Hemsworth has been held by Labour since 1918. In 2017, Trickett was returned with a majority of just over 10,000, and has always enjoyed a strong lead over the Tories.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.