Remainer says pro-European event would ‘outnumber’ those at Nigel Farage’s Brexit celebration
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A Remainer has claimed that the pro-European cause would 'outnumber' those celebrating Brexit in Parliament Square on January 31st.
In a 'throwaway remark' Jonathan Lis managed to anger Brexiteers and the Daily Express by suggesting a counter-demonstration would attract more Remainers than Nigel Farage will attract Brexiteers on January 31st.
Farage, who is planning to charge people to attend an event in Parliament Square in Westminster, is said to have 12,000 people interested in his party.
But Lis said he expected that more people would come out on to the streets to mark the Remain movement than celebrate Brexit on the day.
He told talkRADIO: "We're going to have a counter-demo to match it and we're going to have bigger numbers."
You may also want to watch:
The remarks angered Brexiteers as well as pro-Leave newspaper the Express, fuming that Remainers were going to "spoil" the day for those who want to celebrate the UK's departure from the EU.
Lis later clarified that he had made a "throwaway remark" - but was now looking for ideas for how to organise a demonstration in the next 18 days.
- 1 A lesson from the last of Mainwaring's men
- 2 Scathing report accuses Boris Johnson of 'only caring for England'
- 3 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 4 No 10 rewrote race disparity report, expert claims
- 5 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 6 Nick Clegg says EU 'let itself and millions of Europeans' down over Covid vaccine programme
- 7 No 10: ‘Significant differences’ between UK and EU remain over resolving Brexit deal
- 8 European Council president faces call to resign over 'Sofagate' incident
- 9 Exports to EU increase in February after record fall
- 10 Why the EU is no longer the elephant in the room in the Netherlands
He tweeted: "So the good news is that a throwaway remark I made on the radio yesterday has generated a rage-splash in the Daily Express.
"The amazing news is that I now have to organise a major national demonstration in the next 18 days."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.