Brexiteer MP complains that Brexit protest noise outside parliament ‘needs to be stopped’
- Credit: Parliament TV
A Brexiteer MP has complained that the noise from Brexit protesters outside parliament is distracting MPs and the police, saying 'it needs to be stopped'.
Conservative MP Dr Julian Lewis said in the House of Commons that he was concerned by the "incessant loud noise" at all times of day, which he said causes distraction for Westminster and has a "huge effect" on police.
"There are bylaws about this," said the MP for New Forest East.
"I don't care which side of the EU argument the shouters are on, probably both sides, but it needs to be stopped."
Commons leader Andrea Leadsom said she regularly meets with the authorities at the Palace of Westminster to discuss "some of the challenges" faced with going about their work.
You may also want to watch:
She added: "I have raised the issue of the demonstration going on outside, but not specifically the noise, but since he makes that point I will absolutely undertake to raise that issue the next time I speak to the director general."
Remain campaigners, led by Steve Bray, reacted by turning up the noise even louder in an attempt to be heard by the MP.
- 2 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 3 Former Brexit Party MEP dies in diving accident in the Bahamas
- 4 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 7 Picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden causes social media stir
- 8 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 9 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 10 The bigot we should have called out on day one