Lisa Nandy puts down Katie Hopkins after she appears to back her for Labour leader
- Credit: Archant
Lisa Nandy has received an unwelcome endorsement from far-right Katie Hopkins after she criticised every other candidates with the exception of the MP.
Hopkins had a long list of derogatory remarks to make about all of the candidates - Keir Starmer, Rebecca Long-Bailey, Jess Phillips and Emily Thornberry - and said that Clive Lewis was only on the list to add diversity.
But rather unhelpfully for Nandy, she called the Wigan MP "brilliant" and said she was "thoroughly credible".
She also praised her stance on Brexit in which she campaigned for a softer departure from the European Union.
Unsurprisingly Nandy did not welcome support from far-right troll Hopkins, swiftly moving to put down the Tommy Robinson supporter.
You may also want to watch:
"Has no one told you where my dad's from?", she asked. "Crawl back under your rock."
Nandy's father, Dipak, is an Indian academic and author who moved to Britain to attend Leeds university at the age of 20. He went on to become a member of the Council of the Institute of Race Relations and the BBC's Immigrants Advisory Committee, and helped draft the Race Relations Bill.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
By contrast Hopkins has done all she can to stoke up and inflame tensions in the country supporting the English Defence League founder Robinson.
She promptly hit back: "Hey Cheeky Nando... No one cares about your dad OR where he came from. Put your little race card away and pull on your big girl pants."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.