WATCH: Second referendum with remain option to be backed by Labour
- Credit: Archant
Sir Keir Starmer has promised that Labour will support an amendment next week that calls for a confirmatory public vote – with a remain option – on the Prime Minister's failed Brexit deal.
The shadow Brexit secretary confirmed the news on the Andrew Marr show this morning, adding that if the second referendum opposed the deal then the country would remain part of the EU.
When asked by Marr if Labour MPs would be whipped into voting for a second referendum, Starmer insisted it would be party policy to back the move.
He said: "Whether it's this deal or any future deal, it has got to go back so the public can say do you want to leave on these terms?
"If so, then we do. If not, we remain."
You may also want to watch:
The shadow cabinet member also suggested that Labour will enter negotiations with the Democratic Unionist Party, who have indicated they could support a second referendum.
Starmer said: "I say to any MP to any party but to the DUP in particular, if you want to work with us on this to improve the situation we are in, our door is open to that discussion."
- 1 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 2 Why Bristol is the street art city
- 3 Telling the truth is now the only sackable offence
- 4 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 5 What I learned by avoiding England and the Euros
- 6 How long can Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi play on?
- 7 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 8 Could southern discomfort sink a rebalancing agenda still in its infancy?
- 9 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 10 Could Boris Johnson still use the NHS as leverage in a US trade deal?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.