EU nationals should be given vote in future election, says Sir Keir Starmer
- Credit: PA
European Union nationals should be given the right to vote in UK elections, Labour leadership contender Sir Keir Starmer has claimed.
Sir Keir said the treatment of around three million EU nationals since the EU referendum had been "shameful".
EU citizens can only vote in local elections rather than Westminster contests, something Sir Keir said must change as he called for an end to Brexit divisions.
Writing in The Guardian ahead of a speech, he said: "The government should give all three million EU nationals living in the UK full voting rights in future elections.
"The way they have been treated over the past three years is shameful. We were never just 'tolerating' EU citizens living in this country - they are our neighbours, friends and families."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "As a country we've been bitterly divided for three and a half years.
"Our politics has been frozen instead of tackling the real and deep-rooted problems we face.
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 The worryingly familiar signs for Britain's vaccine roll-out
- 6 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 7 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 8 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
- 9 Fears government could scrap workers' rights in post-Brexit overhaul of labour laws
- 10 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
"Now the Leave-Remain divide must end. Defining people by how they voted in June 2016 merely upholds a divide that we must overcome. There are no Leavers or Remainers any more. In 2024 there will be no leave or remain constituencies."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.