Group of Labour left MPs call on Keir Starmer to reinstate Rebecca Long-Bailey
- Credit: PA
The left-wing Campaign group of Labour MPs has urged Sir Keir Starmer to reinstate Rebecca Long-Bailey to the shadow cabinet.
Following a conference call with the Labour leader, the group said there had been a 'significant disagreement' over the dismissal of the shadow education secretary for sharing an article containing an allegedly anti-Semitic conspiracy theory.
While they said the discussion had taken place in a 'mutually respectful manner', they made clear Sir Keir had stuck to his guns, saying there had been a 'significant disagreement' between them.
The Labour leader's office declined to comment on the talks, saying it had been a private meeting.
The group said it had also raised the issue of the freedom of party members to speak out on Israel.
You may also want to watch:
'The Socialist Campaign Group of Labour MPs made it clear that Rebecca Long-Bailey should not have been sacked and should be reinstated,' the statement said.
'The imminent annexation of the West Bank by Israel's government was discussed and the need for the Labour Party, MPs, party members and supporters to speak out against Israel's illegal annexation and ongoing human rights abuses by the government of Israel was raised.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 6 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 9 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 10 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
'This was a businesslike exchange of views which took place in a mutually respectful manner.'
Long-Bailey was fired on Thursday after refusing to take down a tweet linking to an interview with the actor Maxine Peake in which she claimed police linked to the death of George Floyd in the US had learned their tactics from the Israeli secret services.
Sir Keir said he had acted in order to rebuild trust with the Jewish community after years in which Labour has been embroiled in allegations of anti-Semitism under his predecessor, Jeremy Corbyn.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.