WATCH: Remain hero Ken Clarke tells hardliners ‘you’re the minority’
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Staunch Europhile Ken Clarke outlined some simple maths to the prime minister to highlight the fact Remainers make up the majority of the Commons.
During the weekly prime minister's questions he urged Theresa May not to buckle under increasing pressure from Leavers to harden Brexit.
Too both cheers and catcalls the Tory grandee attacked both the 'Bennites' on the Labour side and 'nationalists' in his own party.
He said: 'It is obvious that the biggest task facing the prime minister this winter is first to obtain a compromise agreement with the other 27 European governments on the terms of our withdrawal and then to win the approval of a majority in this House for that same agreement or something like it in a meaningful vote on the terms of our departure.
'Does she equally accept that the maths makes it obvious that majority can only be obtained if the agreement retains the support of the pro-European Conservative backbenchers in this House and also wins the support of a significant number of Labour pro-European backbenchers on the other side of the House .. which would reveal that the hardline Eurosceptic views of the Bennites on the Labour frontbench and the right-wing nationalists in our party are a minority in this parliament ... will she therefore proceed courageously on that basis in the formidable task that lies ahead?'
You may also want to watch:
May replied: 'What we are working too is to ensure we get a good agreement for the United Kingdom ... When we come back with a deal I would hope that everybody will put the national interest first.'
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 6 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 7 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 8 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 9 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 10 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.