WATCH: Remain hero Ken Clarke tells hardliners ‘you’re the minority’
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Staunch Europhile Ken Clarke outlined some simple maths to the prime minister to highlight the fact Remainers make up the majority of the Commons.
During the weekly prime minister's questions he urged Theresa May not to buckle under increasing pressure from Leavers to harden Brexit.
Too both cheers and catcalls the Tory grandee attacked both the 'Bennites' on the Labour side and 'nationalists' in his own party.
He said: 'It is obvious that the biggest task facing the prime minister this winter is first to obtain a compromise agreement with the other 27 European governments on the terms of our withdrawal and then to win the approval of a majority in this House for that same agreement or something like it in a meaningful vote on the terms of our departure.
'Does she equally accept that the maths makes it obvious that majority can only be obtained if the agreement retains the support of the pro-European Conservative backbenchers in this House and also wins the support of a significant number of Labour pro-European backbenchers on the other side of the House .. which would reveal that the hardline Eurosceptic views of the Bennites on the Labour frontbench and the right-wing nationalists in our party are a minority in this parliament ... will she therefore proceed courageously on that basis in the formidable task that lies ahead?'
You may also want to watch:
May replied: 'What we are working too is to ensure we get a good agreement for the United Kingdom ... When we come back with a deal I would hope that everybody will put the national interest first.'
- 1 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 2 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 3 The truth about 'buy British'
- 4 Liz Truss accused of freeports 'catastrophic blunder' following Brexit deals
- 5 The man the Soviet Union left in space
- 6 Downing Street announces plans to change English voting system following string of Labour victories
- 7 Why can't the English see what the Scots and Welsh can?
- 8 Labour should never have swallowed the Brexit pill
- 9 Sadiq Khan re-elected as London mayor as Laurence Fox loses £10k deposit
- 10 Noel Clarke: The man who would not take no for an answer
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.