Kylie Minogue urges Brits to avoid Brexit by heading to Australia in new TV advert
- Credit: PA
Kylie Minogue has donned the mechanics overalls worn by her former Neighbours character to urge people to head to Australia to avoid the political turmoil.
The Australian pop star sings and stars in the video alongside comedian Adam Hills, cricketer Shane Warne, world tennis number one Ashleigh Barty and Olympic swimmer Ian Thorpe.
The nearly three-minute video, aired on ITV before the Queen's Speech, invited Brits to forget politics and "call on your friends in Australia".
"We can turn off the news, you can kick off your shoes," Minogue sings in the advert.
While not referring directly to the UK's departure from the EU, the advertisement mentions a "tough and confusing" year, with Hills saying "negotiating tricky trade deals is a shocker".
You may also want to watch:
Minogue uses the advert to suggests a visit to see a cute quokka is good distraction.
Phillipa Harrison, managing director of Tourism Australia, said: "The Queen's annual Christmas speech is a key cultural moment in the UK, with millions tuning in to watch on television and many more online.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 6 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 9 Government hands private companies £180m to carry out Brexit contracts
- 10 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
"We also know that January in the northern hemisphere winter is a time when many Brits are thinking about an overseas holiday, providing the perfect opportunity to engage with a captive audience and remind them why they should make that next trip Australia.
"And who better to deliver the message than Kylie Minogue? She embodies so much of what we want to share with the world - our warm, fun and friendly personality.
"Not only does she have a deep and authentic connection with Australia, but she is a much loved and recognised icon in the UK as well".