Local Labour parties call on leadership to commit to revoking Article 50
- Credit: Getty Images
Scores of local Labour parties have backed a call for the national leadership to support the revocation of Article 50.
Overall, 90 motions that have been submitted to the national party have been related to Brexit, with 81 calling for Labour to explicitly back Remain.
The calls for the revocation of Article 50 are being led by socialist and anti-Brexit group Another Europe is Possible and calls for Labour to commit to campaigning "energetically for a public vote and to Remain" and to "revoking Article 50 if necessary to prevent no deal".
The party's existing Brexit policy does not officially back Remain - although some shadow cabinet members have continually insisted that is their personal prerference.
It promises to hold a People's Vote, and will put forward a "credible" alternative to Theresa May's Brexit deal.
You may also want to watch:
But it will not commit to campaigning to Remain, with the possibility the leadership could remain neutral or offer frontbenchers the opportunity to choose its own side.
Anti-Brexit campaigners from Another Europe is Possible have said they will not accept backroom "fudge" this year like last year's negiotiations concluded.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 8 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 9 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 10 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
Another Europe is Possible's Ana Oppenheim told Labour List: "We've phonebanked thousands of members all over the country since June. The strength of anti-Brexit feeling at the grassroots of the labour movement is uncontainable, and is growing… There is no way that we, or delegates from CLPs, will accept a slightly-better fudge as happened last year. We will take a Remain position to a vote on conference floor."
The Liberal Democrats have already committed to the revocation of Article 50, but only in a situation where it has won a general election.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.