Labour’s Laura Pidcock clashes with presenter over source of NHS ‘for sale’ documents
- Credit: Archant
The shadow employment rights secretary Laura Pidcock and Kay Burley clashed over the source of documents held by Labour which the party says prove the NHS is 'on the table' in trade talks with the United States.
The Labour leader last week claimed he had an unredacted report that gave details of meetings between US and UK officials, where they discussed the stipulations of a free trade deal between the two nations after Britain leaves the European Union.
However, senior Tory politicians like Dominic Raab allege that the report is fabricated, misunderstood, or has come from unreliable sources.
The Telegraph reported on their front page that Labour must 'come clean' over the leaked government documents after potential links to Russia - a claim which Labour leader Jeremy Cobryn has denied.
"They're from Russia and you don't want to say, do you?" Sky News presenter Kay Burley asked Laura Pidcock.
You may also want to watch:
Pidcock laughed and replied: "Honestly this is absolutely ridiculous, I am telling you these are official government documents that the Labour party held up in public".
Burley then told the shadow cabinet member that, as a journalist, she would need to attribute a source to establish the veracity of the documents which she argues may be Russian leaked "which would be absolutely fine if they are true and accurate".
- 1 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 2 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 3 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 4 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 5 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 6 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 7 Ed Miliband mocks Kwasi Kwarteng's 'road to Damascus conversion'
- 8 Piers Morgan causes hilarity with 'Priti Patel with a brain' jibe
- 9 Backlash over Tory MP receiving Covid-19 vaccine despite not being classed as vulnerable
- 10 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
"These are government documents, why is that so hard to comprehend?" Pidcock said. "These are reports that have taken place and we have held them up in public. If you feel like there is no line of questioning on whether the NHS is up for sale ion free trade agreements then fine.
"The fundamental issue is our precious NHS is not safe in the hands of a Tory government."
But for Burley, greater proof was needed that the documents were official government documents.
"Nobody has denied that," Pidcock said. "The government haven't denied that."
Reports suggest that the documents were posted by single-use 'burner' accounts on the online forum Reddit, in a method which matches similar information links from Russian authorities.
"Neither party have denied that these are official party documents," Pidcock said. "The fundamental question that you don't seem interested in is whether or not our NHS is up for sale".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.