Nearly 90 Labour MPs and MEPs demand party backs a second referendum
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A group of 89 pro-Remain Labour MPs and MEPs have written a letter urging the party to back a second EU referendum.
The letter, signed by 75 MPs and 14 MEPs, asks the party's National Executive Committee (NEC) to get behind a People's Vote on any Brexit deal in its European manifesto.
They called for 'a message of hope and solidarity' to counter Nigel Farage's Brexit Party.
The letter states: 'Labour has already, rightly, backed a confirmatory public vote.
'The overwhelming majority of our members and voters support this, and it is the democratically established policy of the party.
You may also want to watch:
'We need a message of hope and solidarity, and we need to campaign for it without caveats.'
Labour leaders are rumoured to be redrafting an election campaign leaflet after a leaked version made no mention of a second referendum but spoke of 'a better deal with Europe'.
- 1 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 2 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 3 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 4 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 Independent SAGE adviser gives scathing assessment of Priti Patel's £800 Covid fines
- 7 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 8 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 9 George Osborne hopes for Brexit dividend
- 10 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
The leaflet was widely interpreted as pro-Brexit, and contrary to the party's decision to keep a second referendum on the table if its six tests of an acceptable Brexit were not met.
The Love Socialism, Hate Brexit group of MPs have spoken out in the letter ahead of a key party meeting on Tuesday.
'To motivate our supporters, and to do the right thing by our members and our policy, a clear commitment to a confirmatory public vote on any Brexit deal must be part of our European election manifesto,' the letter states.
Polls show the overwhelming majority of Labour's members, supporters and potential voters want a public vote on any Brexit deal with an option to Remain, the group said.