Nearly 90 Labour MPs and MEPs demand party backs a second referendum
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A group of 89 pro-Remain Labour MPs and MEPs have written a letter urging the party to back a second EU referendum.
The letter, signed by 75 MPs and 14 MEPs, asks the party's National Executive Committee (NEC) to get behind a People's Vote on any Brexit deal in its European manifesto.
They called for 'a message of hope and solidarity' to counter Nigel Farage's Brexit Party.
The letter states: 'Labour has already, rightly, backed a confirmatory public vote.
'The overwhelming majority of our members and voters support this, and it is the democratically established policy of the party.
You may also want to watch:
'We need a message of hope and solidarity, and we need to campaign for it without caveats.'
Labour leaders are rumoured to be redrafting an election campaign leaflet after a leaked version made no mention of a second referendum but spoke of 'a better deal with Europe'.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 8 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 James O'Brien claims Covid-19 crisis exposed how out of touch Boris Johnson's government is with reality
The leaflet was widely interpreted as pro-Brexit, and contrary to the party's decision to keep a second referendum on the table if its six tests of an acceptable Brexit were not met.
The Love Socialism, Hate Brexit group of MPs have spoken out in the letter ahead of a key party meeting on Tuesday.
'To motivate our supporters, and to do the right thing by our members and our policy, a clear commitment to a confirmatory public vote on any Brexit deal must be part of our European election manifesto,' the letter states.
Polls show the overwhelming majority of Labour's members, supporters and potential voters want a public vote on any Brexit deal with an option to Remain, the group said.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.