Nearly 90 Labour MPs and MEPs demand party backs a second referendum
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A group of 89 pro-Remain Labour MPs and MEPs have written a letter urging the party to back a second EU referendum.
The letter, signed by 75 MPs and 14 MEPs, asks the party's National Executive Committee (NEC) to get behind a People's Vote on any Brexit deal in its European manifesto.
They called for 'a message of hope and solidarity' to counter Nigel Farage's Brexit Party.
The letter states: 'Labour has already, rightly, backed a confirmatory public vote.
'The overwhelming majority of our members and voters support this, and it is the democratically established policy of the party.
You may also want to watch:
'We need a message of hope and solidarity, and we need to campaign for it without caveats.'
Labour leaders are rumoured to be redrafting an election campaign leaflet after a leaked version made no mention of a second referendum but spoke of 'a better deal with Europe'.
- 1 The Remainers' case for keeping the United Kingdom together
- 2 The deep roots of Labour's red wall decline
- 3 How Brexit has turned sour for the dairy industry
- 4 Dominic Cummings warns Boris Johnson against next stage of unlocking
- 5 What's next for Laurence Fox after London mayor fiasco?
- 6 The slow death of Channel Islands Norman
- 7 Labour needs more positivity, more patriotism, more policy... and less wokery
- 8 Why the English could understand the Vikings
- 9 Former Tory speaker admits voting Labour after labeling Boris Johnson a 'liar'
- 10 Lawyers expose 'false claims' made by ministers over visa-free music tours of EU after Brexit
The leaflet was widely interpreted as pro-Brexit, and contrary to the party's decision to keep a second referendum on the table if its six tests of an acceptable Brexit were not met.
The Love Socialism, Hate Brexit group of MPs have spoken out in the letter ahead of a key party meeting on Tuesday.
'To motivate our supporters, and to do the right thing by our members and our policy, a clear commitment to a confirmatory public vote on any Brexit deal must be part of our European election manifesto,' the letter states.
Polls show the overwhelming majority of Labour's members, supporters and potential voters want a public vote on any Brexit deal with an option to Remain, the group said.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.