Poll: Labour risks falling behind the Lib Dems if it pushes through Brexit
- Credit: PA
A new poll has found that voters will desert the Labour Party if it pushes through Brexit.
A YouGov poll, commissioned by the People's Vote campaign, has found that support for Jeremy Corbyn's party could fall from 36% to 22% if they help the Tories pass a Brexit deal like the one that Theresa May has been trying to advocate.
In those circumstances support for the Liberal Democrats would rise from 10% to 26% - the largest poll rating witnessed since the 2010 election which allowed for a coalition government with the Conservatives.
The polling indicates that Labour supporters want a second referendum by a margain of almost three to one, with even greater numbers planning to back remaining in the EU if a vote was held.
MORE: PETER KELLNER: The case for a second poll grows by the dayA seperate poll by Opinium Research found that despite Theresa May's tough political week, it has increased her standing with voters.Nearly half of electors, 47%, view the prime minister as someone who is brave and sticks to her principles.MORE: Subscribe to The New European for 26 weeks at just £30 - save £75!
The Tories also cut the Labour lead to one point as the party climbed two points to stand at 38%, while Labour stayed steady on 39%.
You may also want to watch:
That is despite the prime minister drawing fire for pulling a crunch Commons vote on her Brexit plans, surviving a confidence motion bid to oust her among Tory MPs, and being largely rebuffed at an EU summit in Brussels.
- 1 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 2 Why Bristol is the street art city
- 3 Telling the truth is now the only sackable offence
- 4 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 5 How long can Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi play on?
- 6 What I learned by avoiding England and the Euros
- 7 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 8 Could southern discomfort sink a rebalancing agenda still in its infancy?
- 9 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 10 Could Boris Johnson still use the NHS as leverage in a US trade deal?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.