Layla Moran says she wants Lib Dems to be more radical than Labour
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A leadership candidate for the Liberal Democrats said she wants to make it 'cool' to vote for her party again.
Layla Moran, who is standing in the competition against Wera Hobhouse and Ed Davey, said she wants Labour to 'fear' the Lib Dems at the next election.
The MP for Oxford West and Abingdon told Business Insider: 'I want to take the Lib Dems back to our radical roots. I want us to be seen as more radical than Labour'.
She explained: 'It's really important that the Liberal Democrats put forward that vision of hope.
'I will be more radical than Labour and I will be unapologetic about that.'
You may also want to watch:
The MP, who was elected in 2017, said she wants to win over young people again after the party was tainted by the coalition.
She said: 'There is now going to be a huge gap in the market for a party that speaks to the concerns of young people in particular. Obviously, during [the] Coalition we lost a lot of that vote, and I'm intent that we win those votes back.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 6 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 7 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 8 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 9 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 10 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
'When I was at university, I know it is difficult for people to remember this, but it was cool to vote Lib Dem.
'I want it to be cool to vote Lib Dem again.'
Asked whether Sir Keir Starmer should be worried about a Liberal Democrat party under Moran, she said: 'I hope he would be. Certainly, we need to go after those votes that they [Labour] are taking for granted.
'That's students, young people, and anyone who wants massive change.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.