Brexiteer claims tactical voting guides for elections show we live in a ‘dictatorship’
- Credit: Archant
A Brexiteer has used a radio phone-in show to claim that we are a 'dictatorship' - and tactical voting guides is evidence of this.
Keith was branded an "idiot" by LBC Radio host Iain Dale when he called into his programme to make the claims to Gina Miller, who has just launched a tactical voting guide to highlight ways to prevent Boris Johnson winning a majority at the election.
He said: "It is totally wrong, she is only interested in her business interests in Europe".
He continued to rant about the "biased Supreme Court judges" and "the 75% Remainer MPs" before host Dale interrupted.
"You only think they're biased because they made a decision that you disagree with", he told the caller.
You may also want to watch:
But Keith continued: "The 75% of MPs in parliament are Remainers, Gina Miller is a Remainer and I think that the Supreme Court judges are because they have overridden the parliament statutes saying that the judges cannot get involved with politics. That has turned, all those three entities, have turned parliament into a dictatorship and that's a very dangerous thing to do."
"Well it would be if it were true," responded the presenter.
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 3 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 4 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 5 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 6 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 7 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
- 9 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 10 Matt Hancock's NHS message backfires after appearing in hospital without a face mask
As Keith defended himself, he continued to criticise Gina Miller. He said: "I think her tactical voting idea is an extension of this possible dictatorship trying to pervert, removing the Conservatives".
"I mean, just listen to yourself when you use words like dictatorship. Everybody's listening, thinking 'what an idiot'," responded Iain Dale. "We don't have a dictatorship in this country, just because the Supreme Court judges made a decision you don't like, just because parliament elected people that made a decision you do not like, that does not mean we have a dictatorship."
He pointed out that Keith has an opportunity to vote out Remainer MPs in an election. "That's not a dictatorship, that's democracy," he continued.
The caller by this point argued that he had not said he believed we were living in a dictatorship but those MPs were "turning parliament into a dictatorship".
Dale said if that was the case "we wouldn't be having an election on December 12th".
The caller eventually conceded that he had "put too much emphasis on the word".
"Well I'm afraid by doing that you undermine your case completely, because if you exaggerate your case nobody is going to believe you", said the presenter.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.