Full training for doctors? ‘More EU madness’ claim Leavers
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Leave.EU wants doctors without the required training in our surgeries and on our wards.
In a much-ridiculed tweet – which links to an article on the alt-right website Westmonster – the group suggest that doctors qualify sooner than five years without the expected level of training.
It claims that not allowing doctors to practice before becoming fully skilled is 'just one of countless examples of EU 'market building' that do nothing of the sort, instead causing disruption and impairing UK policymakers'.
The tweet provoked hundreds of responses condemning the suggestion with one claiming 'not even the bots are touching this one'.
One tweeter joked: 'You should have said that from the beginning! Leave equals undertrained doctors. That would have won you the referendum by a landslide!'
You may also want to watch:
Another quipped: 'Is that all you've got? 'Our doctors are currently trained to exacting standards but they won't have to be in the future'?'
Tom Besford added: 'Yeah! I want my doctors like I want my politicians: massively unqualified and out of their depth!'
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 6 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 7 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 8 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 9 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 10 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
Meanwhile a doctor disagreed with the claims that the EU enforces a five-year period of training on the UK, calling it 'another flat out lie from Leave EU'.
'I *am* a UK doctor who works with countless others who qualified after an accelerated 4 year medical degree'.
She continued: 'Please delete this dishonest tweet.'
The British Medical Association tweeted: 'Patients want to be seen by a doctor who can provide them with the best possible care and shortening training and having doctors working with a lower level of expertise won't achieve this. We've been very clear in the past in our opposition to moving registration'.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.