Video showing Boris Johnson’s hypocrisy over Brexit plan projected on to Parliament
- Credit: Led By Donkeys
As Boris Johnson attempts to get a draft Withdrawal Agreement past his own MPs, pranksters have projected a reminder of the time he advised them that 'no British Conservative government' should accept similar terms.
The latest stunt by Led By Donkeys has unearthed a clip of Johnson at the DUP conference in November 2018 in which he urged the party to resist the Northern Irish backstop.
"If we genuinely wanted to do free trade deals, if we wanted to cut tariffs, if we wanted to vary our regulation, then we would have to leave Northern Ireland behind as an economic semi-colony of the EU," he said.
"And we would be damaging the fabric of the Union with regulatory checks and even customs controls between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, on top of those extra regulatory checks down the Irish Sea that are already envisaged in the Withdrawal Agreement.
"Now I have to tell you, no British Conservative government could or should sign up to any such arrangement."
You may also want to watch:
The trouble for Johnson at this stage is that his own solution to the issue of the Northern Irish backstop, taking shape in a deal being hammered out in Brussels, also involves Northern Ireland staying in the EU's tariff scheme in practice, with regulatory and customs checks in the Irish Sea.
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 3 Defence minister Johnny Mercer 'trying to resign' - reports
- 4 Government scraps Brexit permits to enter Kent
- 5 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 6 Why everyone in rents in Germany
- 7 No 10 says Johnny Mercer is 'valued' minister as it attempts to stop him resigning
- 8 How will you vote in the upcoming elections?
- 9 Plan for White House-style briefings axed despite £2.6m spend on media room
- 10 Boris Johnson challenged over 'honesty and integrity' of Jennifer Arcuri claims
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.