Led By Donkeys stunt plays Michael Gove’s own words on prorogation back to his constituents
- Credit: Led By Donkeys
A giant video screen is being driven round Michael Gove's constituency, reminding people that he was against prorogation for a no-deal Brexit just two months ago.
"Hi @MichaelGove, we're driving round Surrey Heath today reminding your constituents what you thought about suspending parliament just a couple of months ago," tweeted Led By Donkeys, the pranksters responsible.
In the video, dating from the time of Gove's failed Conservative leadership bid, the MP for Surrey Heath is being interviewed on his thoughts about prorogation of parliament.
"We must also respect the fact that we are a parliamentary democracy," said Gove in the video. "And suspending, or as the constitutional experts call it, proroguing parliament in order to get no deal through, I think would be wrong."
Asked on the video by BBC's Andrew Marr if he held this view because prorogation drags the Queen into politics, he clarified that in fact it would be wrong for "many reasons".
You may also want to watch:
He added: "I think it would be not true to the best traditions of British democracy.
"I argued that we should leave the European Union because I wanted us to take back control of our democracy. And that means putting parliament at the centre of decision making."
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Labour leader defends NHS after being kicked out of pub in Bath
- 3 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 4 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 5 Scottish Tory leader accused of 'nonsense' excuse for Boris Johnson avoiding Scotland
- 6 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 7 Defence minister Johnny Mercer 'trying to resign' - reports
- 8 New research reveals half of Brexit supporters were not 'left behind' red-wall voters
- 9 Welsh government refused permission for legal challenge over post-Brexit bill
- 10 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
However just a few weeks later, Gove, who is now a member of Boris Johnson's cabinet, has offered no resistance to the recent shock prorogation of parliament.
The screen is the latest stunt from Led By Donkeys, who specialise in highlighting Brexiteer hypocrisies with public displays such as billboards and projections.
In a hilarious twist at the end of the video, two passers-by watching remark on "that idiot".
"To think we've got that idiot as an MP eh," says one man. "He was on the side of that."
"Michael Gove?" said another. "Yeah. Idiot."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.