Led By Donkeys start campaign to project image of ‘lying Tory’ Jacob Rees-Mogg around the UK
- Credit: Archant
Jacob Rees-Mogg's disregard for parliament became an internet hit for all the wrong reasons after he was snapped 'lounging languidly' on the front bench during a debate.
The photograph, first shared by Labour MP Anna Turley, quickly went viral before becoming an internet meme.
Shadow transport minister and Labour MP, Karl Turner, responded: "As a working class bloke brought up on a council estate in Hull I always feel enormous pride and gratitude when I go into the chamber of the House of Commons to represent east Hull.
"I've never felt a sense of entitlement. This is what that looks like!?"
But social media users also urged the Led By Donkeys anti-Brexit campaigners to make use of the image for their campaigns.
You may also want to watch:
Something the group appear to have agreed to do based on their latest tweet of a projection on Edinburgh Castle.
"That's a perfect accompaniment to my morning coffee! Bravo", said one.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 4 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 5 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 6 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 7 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 8 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 9 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 10 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
"Excellent. The best meme. And the truth. Rees-Mogg is an insult and disgrace. He rebelled agajnst the Tories 100 times but is still not expelled from the Conservative Party. Hideous. Fake Toff", said Omar Moore.
It follows work by the Led By Donkeys team to mock up their own version of the government's 'Get Ready' advertising campaign which sought to tell the truth about Brexit based on findings from the Yellowhammer report.
The campaigners projected the details on to Angel of the North, and posted a video straight to Twitter.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.