Leo Varadkar reveals secret reason why he wants Brexit sorted either way by October 31st
- Credit: PA
The Irish prime minister has revealed why he wants to get Brexit sorted either way by October 31st.
Varadkar said he had a different reason for seeing a resolution to Brexit, and it is very unlike Boris Johnson's reasoning.
According to the Irish Mirror, he is not only hoping for a solution that benefits his country, but also because he is looking forward to enjoying his downtime without worrying about Brexit.
One particular reason is that he has tickets to Cher on 1st November as her Here We Go Again tour arrives in Dublin.
Somebody close to the Taoiseach told the newspaper: "The Taoiseach was clearly giddy to tell us about the Cher gig. Leo was in good form before the Fine Gael dinner at the bar and we were chatting about how tiring Brexit had been over the last few months and how much we were just dying for it to be over. Leo chipped in then and said he knew how we felt and that he really wanted Boris to get the deal done by October 31.
You may also want to watch:
"We were wondering for a second why he was so keen but then he told us it was because he had tickets for the Cher gig in The Point [the old name for the 3Arena] and that he wanted to enjoy that without worrying about Brexit.
"He must be a really big fan."
- 1 The true cost of Brexit is becoming clearer
- 2 Where the fires of Brexit still burn fiercest
- 3 Be careful what you wish for... voting reform could kill Labour
- 4 Boris Johnson's awkward moment with the Queen
- 5 Amazon order shows how we're all paying the price for Brexit
- 6 MATT FREI: Brexit posed a question... and we haven't even begun to answer it
- 7 PMQs: Ian Blackford drops truth bomb over post-Brexit trade deal with Australia
- 8 How the Kominsky Method grapples with growing old
- 9 Brexiteers propose return of imperial measurements in report on reducing 'red tape'
- 10 Biden is trying to remake the West - and Boris Johnson is in his way
Michael Hutchinson responded to the story, by saying: "Honestly, that's a better argument than anything we've heard in the UK parliament."
Tom Copley said: "'Get Brexit done so that I can see Cher' is probably the only get Brexit done argument that could even remotely appeal to me."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.