Letters: Amber Rudd’s redemption would be to save us from a Hard Brexit
- Credit: EMPICS Entertainment
There are two choices for Amber Rudd now she has resigned, writes Isobel Wheeler...
Do nothing and return to the Cabinet in a more minor role in six months to a year. Or, enjoying the freedom of the backbenches, make the case that British membership of the customs union must continue in order to avoid a cliff-edge Brexit and vote (or abstain) accordingly when the issue comes before the Commons later this spring.
The Windrush scandal has illuminated a remarkable absence of judgement and conscience at the top of the Conservative party. Now is the chance for Amber Rudd to show whether she has both.
You may also want to watch:
Amber Rudd has resigned as Home Secretary for misleading Parliament. She is a Remainer.
Do I understand that pro-Brexit Ministers who have misled Parliament do not have the decency to resign?
- 1 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 2 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 3 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 4 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 5 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 6 PRINCE PHILIP: Why this Danish, Greek, German immigrant epitomised Britain
- 7 Is Volkswagen about to give Tesla a shock?
- 8 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 9 Government loses bid to block financial services bill amendment in House of Lords
- 10 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
Don Adamson, Rainham
Fine words from Sajid Javid on Windrush, but a reminder that he has voted for Theresa May's hostile environment every step of the way, called for an end to multiculturalism and propagated the lie that only a few of today's migrants respect Britain.
We need a change of government and not just a change of home secretary.
Jane Long, Wimbledon
• Send your letters for publication to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.