Letters: Amber Rudd’s redemption would be to save us from a Hard Brexit
- Credit: EMPICS Entertainment
There are two choices for Amber Rudd now she has resigned, writes Isobel Wheeler...
Do nothing and return to the Cabinet in a more minor role in six months to a year. Or, enjoying the freedom of the backbenches, make the case that British membership of the customs union must continue in order to avoid a cliff-edge Brexit and vote (or abstain) accordingly when the issue comes before the Commons later this spring.
The Windrush scandal has illuminated a remarkable absence of judgement and conscience at the top of the Conservative party. Now is the chance for Amber Rudd to show whether she has both.
You may also want to watch:
Amber Rudd has resigned as Home Secretary for misleading Parliament. She is a Remainer.
Do I understand that pro-Brexit Ministers who have misled Parliament do not have the decency to resign?
- 1 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 2 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 3 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 4 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 5 Tory MP complains 'less scrutiny of trade deals' than when UK was in EU
- 6 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 7 No 10 says Biden removing Churchill bust ‘up to president’ despite Obama attack
- 8 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 9 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 10 UK and EU clash over trade bloc's diplomatic status
Don Adamson, Rainham
Fine words from Sajid Javid on Windrush, but a reminder that he has voted for Theresa May's hostile environment every step of the way, called for an end to multiculturalism and propagated the lie that only a few of today's migrants respect Britain.
We need a change of government and not just a change of home secretary.
Jane Long, Wimbledon
• Send your letters for publication to email@example.com
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.