Letters: All of this to save £5 on a pair of shoes? Cobblers!
- Credit: Archant
Is it really worth throwing the country into chaos just to save a fiver on a pair of shoes?
Brexiteers say they want us out of the customs union to strike new trade deals so we can get cheaper footwear. Only problem is, leaving the customs union will be hugely disruptive and costly and the proposed fiver saving is equal to 40 minutes of work for a 25-year old on the minimum wage.
Plus it will destroy shoemaking jobs not just in EU countries like Italy, Spain and Portugal, but also here, in the UK; instead of which they'll create more jobs in China and Vietnam, and all this so we can save ourselves a fiver.
The same applies to trade deals on food with non-EU countries. British produce will be replaced with the same stuff from thousands of miles away, thereby putting our farmers out of work too.
What patriots BoJo and co all are!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Why have Remainers gone so quiet?
- 2 The cheerleaders who have let Boris Johnson get away with it
- 3 Brexiteers propose return of imperial measurements in report on reducing 'red tape'
- 4 Amazon order shows how we're all paying the price for Brexit
- 5 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 6 PMQs: Ian Blackford drops truth bomb over post-Brexit trade deal with Australia
- 7 Politicians should vote on Australian post-Brexit trade deal, says Nicola Sturgeon
- 8 George Eustice could be demoted in next cabinet reshuffle
- 9 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 10 Crisis in the unpicked fruit fields shows Brexit is rotten
• Send your letters for publication in The New European via email to email@example.com
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.