Liberal Democrats aim at both Labour and Tories with WWII-style campaign
- Credit: Liberal Democrats
For once it's the Liberal Democrats taking their Brexit rhetoric from the Second World War, with poster pastiches of the 'careless talk costs lives' images.
With prospects of an election looming closer, the Lib Dem version warns that "Careless votes cost lives" and depicts Jeremy Corbyn and Boris Johnson conspiring to "get Brexit over the line".
The original poster was part of a propaganda campaign by the British government which discouraged talking about sensitive material where spies could overhear it.
The Lib Dem poster replaces two gossiping diners in one of the original designs with Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn, both of whom the Lib Dems claim have worked together to deliver Brexit.
The Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson was recently incensed that Labour MPs did not support her party's recent efforts to organise a People's Vote on Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
The pro-European party is putting its poster across billboards, newspapers and roaming digital ad-vans, with the warning that 'careless votes' for Labour, as well as the Conservatives, are helping deliver Brexit.
Former Labour MP Angela Smith, who left the party to join the Lib Dems, said: "Labour have voted with the Tories more than 30 times to deliver Brexit. They do not want to stop Brexit, so do not waste your vote on them.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 4 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 5 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 6 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 7 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 8 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 9 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
"Only the Liberal Democrats have been crystal clear on Brexit. We will do anything we can to stop Brexit including revoking Article 50 on day one of a Lib Dem majority government."
Last week, the Lib Dems gatecrashed Jeremy Corbyn's rally in Liverpool with a van circling the venue with an electronic billboard carrying the slogan: "You can't stop Tory Brexit with Labour Brexit. Only Lib Dems will stop Brexit."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.