Lib Dems will include their ‘stop Brexit’ message on the ballot paper
- Credit: Archant
The Liberal Democrats are planning to include the message that they propose 'to stop Brexit' on the ballot paper - leaving no doubt their position on the biggest issue of the election.
Jo Swinson's party is likely to invoke fury from Brexiteers - but it will be seen as an unambiguous stance on the ballot paper when people go out to vote for the key parties.
The Lib Dem leader has vowed to revoke Article 50 on day one if the party were to win power.
She said: "The Liberal Democrats have been very clear - we want to remain in the European Union.
"We are an internationalist party and so a Liberal Democrat majority government would revoke Article 50 on day one.
You may also want to watch:
"We could stop Brexit and get on with building a brighter future, which would be more money for our NHS, in particular our mental health services, more money to give children the best start in life in our schools and helping more parents with the unaffordable costs of childcare, as well as tackling the climate emergency so that we can protect this beautiful and wonderful planet that we have and hand it on to the next generation, and not polluted and damaged.
"There's a huge amount of priorities we want to be getting on to dealing with and of course, Brexit makes all of those things harder."
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 10 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
Their stance will be made even clearer that its mission to stop the UK leaving the European Union appears on the ballot papers on December 12th.
The party's name will read as "The Liberal Democrats - To Stop Brexit".
One Labour activist joked in response it should reference its "free broadband" offer on the ballot paper.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.