Lib Dems will include their ‘stop Brexit’ message on the ballot paper
- Credit: Archant
The Liberal Democrats are planning to include the message that they propose 'to stop Brexit' on the ballot paper - leaving no doubt their position on the biggest issue of the election.
Jo Swinson's party is likely to invoke fury from Brexiteers - but it will be seen as an unambiguous stance on the ballot paper when people go out to vote for the key parties.
The Lib Dem leader has vowed to revoke Article 50 on day one if the party were to win power.
She said: "The Liberal Democrats have been very clear - we want to remain in the European Union.
"We are an internationalist party and so a Liberal Democrat majority government would revoke Article 50 on day one.
You may also want to watch:
"We could stop Brexit and get on with building a brighter future, which would be more money for our NHS, in particular our mental health services, more money to give children the best start in life in our schools and helping more parents with the unaffordable costs of childcare, as well as tackling the climate emergency so that we can protect this beautiful and wonderful planet that we have and hand it on to the next generation, and not polluted and damaged.
"There's a huge amount of priorities we want to be getting on to dealing with and of course, Brexit makes all of those things harder."
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 3 Television drama to focus on Boris Johnson's first year in Downing Street
- 4 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 5 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 6 Boris Johnson claims Labour supporters using Universal Credit vote to incite hatred
- 7 Michael Gove among 14 Tory MPs revealed to have joined banned Parler app
- 8 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 9 UK has highest Covid-19 death rate in world
- 10 Dominic Raab 'not convinced' collapse of fishing businesses would be result of Brexit deal
Their stance will be made even clearer that its mission to stop the UK leaving the European Union appears on the ballot papers on December 12th.
The party's name will read as "The Liberal Democrats - To Stop Brexit".
One Labour activist joked in response it should reference its "free broadband" offer on the ballot paper.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.